Fulbright-Hays GPA Programs
The China Program Center at UMass Boston received two federal grants from the Department of Education to run two Fulbright-Hays Group Project Abroad (GPA) programs: Chinese Language and Culture Enrichment (Short Term Program) and Advanced Chinese Language Immersion (Long Term Program).
Chinese Language and Culture Enrichment (Short Term Program)
Objectives and Participants: This program allows us to recruit 15 experienced and devoted teachers of Chinese language to study Chinese culture and Mandarin at Shaanxi Normal University for five weeks, and tour in Beijing, Shanghai and Suzhou for one week. The program will enrich the participants’ knowledge of Chinese culture and deepen their understanding of Chinese society since the Economic Reform. The participants are required to design curriculum projects to integrate Chinese culture into Mandarin teaching. Moreover, these participants will become lead teachers in the field of Chinese culture and language education in the New England area.
Credits: 10 Credits, 3 graduate credits from UMass Boston, and 7 credits from Shaanxi Normal University.
Through this program, participants will:
- Form a deep understanding and appreciation of Chinese culture that focuses on geography, history, philosophy, literature, arts, customs and society.
- Collect first-hand authentic primary sources for teaching.
- Design curricula to integrate Chinese culture into language teaching.
- Gain insights for Chinese traditions, customs, and regional differences through tours and field trips.
- Establish partnerships between schools in America and China and gain understanding of Chinese K-12 education.
- Promote understanding of native cultures between American and Chinese people.
- Share America’s most effective teaching with Chinese colleagues.
Advanced Chinese Language Immersion (Long Term Program)
Objectives and Participants: This program allows us to recruit 16 college students to learn Chinese language and culture for a whole school year. In addition to language learning, these students will have opportunity to do internship at Xi’an High Tech Industrial Zone for four months. This program will help our students reach their Mandarin skills to intermediate high or advanced-low levels. Moreover, they will understand Chinese business culture and play a role of bridge between American and Chinese business world. Based on their experience, these participants have potential to become China hands in the future.
Credits: 3 graduate credits from UMass Boston, and 12-20 credits from Shaanxi Normal University.
» The application package for the long term program will be available by the end of April.