Think Critically: Effective Decision Making in Business
This course provides professionals with critical thinking skills for:
- decision making and problem solving
- marketing, sales, and understanding customers’ perspectives
- cause and effect relationships
- detecting flaws and biases in one’s thinking
The course is appropriate for managers, sales people, accounting professionals, human resources staff, marketing staff, and business students. Emphasis is on practical application of skills. Optional online collaboration is available for various assignments if you would like to experience a team approach.
You can take a single 3-week module, any combination of 3-week modules, or the entire online 12-week course. This course is also offered to businesses as customized training. For customized training, contact Shona.Jackson@umb.edu.
Module 1: Sept 9-27, 2013
- What is Critical Thinking?
- Asking Critical Thinking Questions
Module 2: Sept 30-Oct 18, 2013
- Frames of Reference – Part 1
- Frames of Reference – Part 2
- Methodological Believing
Module 3: Oct 21-Nov 8, 2013
- Causal Reasoning
- Stress and Critical Thinking
Module 4: Nov 11-Dec 2, 2013
- Critical Thinking and Business Ethics
- Critical Thinking in Business
- Understand what critical thinking is and why there are so many definitions
- Identify and challenge assumptions
- Learn four different types of questions to ask
- Identify and recognize various points of view
- Recognize how your own point of view can affect your decision making
- Learn how to influence your customers’ point of view
- Discover how a special role play can help you understand your adversaries
- Learn about cause and effect relationships and why additional critical thinking skills are needed
- Discover your own flaws and biases and learn how to help your staff master a new process
- Learn several ways to reduce stress and improve critical thinking
- Utilize four tests to help make an ethical decision
- Apply various critical thinking skills in business
- Discover ways to assess critical thinking
Upon successful completion of each module, you will receive a certificate of completion and 1 Continuing Education Unit (CEU). Upon successful completion of the whole course (all modules), you will receive a certificate of completion and 4 CEUs.
Instructor: Bob Schoenberg
Bob Schoenberg is a graduate of the Critical & Creative Thinking Program at the University of Massachusetts Boston. He has also taught classes in Critical Thinking at MassBay Community College and has conducted workshops in Critical Thinking for the Massachusetts Teachers Association (MTA). He is an entrepreneur and author of Critical Thinking in Business.