Support for Dissertation Research
Department of Leadership in Education
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
ALUMNI AWARD FOR DISSERTATION RESEARCH
In the late 1990s, a group of doctoral graduates from the Department of Leadership in Education at UMass Boston established an endowed fund that would provide dissertation support to future students in the Higher Education and Leadership in Urban Schools Doctoral Programs. This year, the Alumni Award will provide up to four $1000 grants to students in these programs.
Eligibility and Guidelines for Application
Doctoral students whose dissertation proposals have been accepted by their committees (stage three in the dissertation process) are eligible to apply. Students are eligible to receive only one Alumni Award during their program of study; thus, previous recipients of the Alumni Award are not eligible to apply. Applicants must submit the following:
- a cover letter indicating that you are applying for the Alumni Award from the Department of Leadership in Education
- an abstract of your dissertation proposal, not to exceed 50 words
- a narrative, limited to 1000 words, describing your dissertation research proposal
- a project budget, which indicates how you would use the funding to support your work
- a timeline for completing your dissertation
Applications will be reviewed by a committee consisting of faculty members in the Department of Leadership in Education. They will use the following criteria:
- the clarity of the overall proposal
- the project’s potential to make a significant contribution to the field of educational leadership, as reflected in its alignment with the Department of Leadership in Education’s mission
- the appropriateness of the research methods to answer the research questions guiding the project
Preference will be given to creative and innovative projects and to studies with large budgetary needs.
Applications are due no later than Thursday, March 31, 2011. Please submit all application materials via email to the Department office: email@example.com If you have questions about the application process, please contact Katalin Szelényi, Chair of the Alumni Award for Dissertation Research committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Department of Leadershipin Education