Click here to sign up for the 3-day program
Click here to sign up for the 2-day program
What is CLA First?
- Full year success program for first-year students and transfer students bringing in lower numbers of credits
- Choose from three options – the full 5-day schedule, or 2-day or 3-day a week options
- All courses fulfill graduation requirements
- Work with a small group of students throughout your first year
- Opportunity for additional courses of your choice
What are the benefits?
- a small and supportive learning community within the larger university
- your professors are committed faculty, who are interested in working with first-year students
- full-time advisors assigned to the program; our advising is intensive and ongoing throughout your first year
- Start Smart! program designed to maximize your academic success and your UMass Boston experience
- strong connection to University resources for academics and co-curricular opportunities
- students completing the full week (5-day) program will fulfill the First Year Seminar requirement
- working partnerships with other students across a range of courses
Who is eligible?
- first time freshman and transfer students bringing in a low number of credits
- any major in the College of Liberal Arts, including undecided students
- must place into English 101 and a First Year Seminar through assessment testing
- Students who are enrolled in the Honors Program should indicate that on the application, and schedule requirements can be discussed
How do I join?
- For the 5-day program, click the appropriate link at the top of the page to sign up online. Once you have completed the form, you will receive an email about next steps.
- If you are interested in the 3-day or 2-day programs, pleaase click the links above and either email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Joyce morgan at the address below.
- If you have trouble with the online form for the 5-day program, you can fill out the Interest Form here and either attach it to an email to email@example.com or mail it to:
College of Liberal Arts
100 Morrissey Blvd.
Boston, MA 02125
If you are curious as to what a CLA First! schedule would look like, a sample schedules can be found below:
So I sent in my interest form. Now what?
If you have paid your new student deposit (contact Admissions for more information), you should sign up for Beacon Beginnings New Student Orientation.
- This is also how you will sign up for a assessment tests!
- We will check in with you via email and keep track of your assessment scores once you have taken the tests.
- When you attend Orientation we will meet with you in group sessions and help you to sign up for CLA First! courses if your placement scores qualify.
It will be that easy! We promise!