Honduras: Health Care, Service and Research Opportunities in Honduras
Partnerships include the Honduran Mission Team and the Olancho Aid Foundation in Olancho, Honduras, and previous joint projects with Health Volunteers Overseas, the American Society of Clinical Oncology and oncology providers in Teguicigalpa, Honduras.
- Service learning during 7-10 day trip to Olancho state in Honduras.
- UMass Boston undergraduate nursing students participation in medical brigades to provide primary health care and screening.
- Partnership with local organizations to improve the health of the Honduran people.
- Educational programs for oncology nurses in Honduras.
- Opportunities to work with faculty on research projects through the UMB Office of International and transnational Affairs (OITA).
- Funding obtained for faculty and student research through the OITA Faculty Study Abroad program.
- Abstracts submitted and posters presented at national and international meetings.
- Ongoing projects on primary screening of health and the educational needs of Honduran oncology nurses.
- Train new members of healthcare team for work in medical brigades.
- Provide education to nurses and other health care providers including community partners.
- Work with local partners in oncology care to improve cancer care and control in Honduras.
- Work with Honduran Mission Team in local schools in Olancho.