Faculty & Staff
Areas of Expertise
PhD, Miami University, 2002 (Zoology)
MS, Arkansas State University, 1995 (Biological Sciences)
BS, University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, 1992 (Biological Sciences)
Professional Publications & Contributions
- WESTON, M.R., R.L. JOHNSON, AND A.D. CHRISTIAN. 2010. Niche partitioning of the sympatric
yellowcheek darter Ethiostoma moorei and rainbow darter Ethiostoma caeruleum in the Little
Red River, Arkansas. American Midland Naturalist 164(2): 187-200.
- VANNI, M. J., W. H. RENWICK, A. M. BOWLING, M.J. HORGAN, AND A.D. CHRISTIAN. 2010.
Nutrient stoichiometry of linked catchment-lake systems along a gradient of land use. Freshwater
Biology (2011) 56: 791-811. DOI : 10.1111/j.1365-2427.2010.02436x
- JOHNSON, R.L., A.D. CHRISTIAN, S.D. HENRY, AND S.W. BARKLEY. 2009. Distribution and
ecology of black basses (Micropterus) in the lower Eleven Point River, Arkansas. Southeastern
Naturalist. 8(4): 653-670.
- HARRIS, J. L., W. R. POSEY, C. L. DAVIDSON, J. L. FARRIS, S. O. ROGERS, J. N. STOECKEL, B. G. CRUMP,
M. BARNETT, H. C.MARTIN, M. W.MATTHEWS, J. SEAGRAVES, N. J.WENTZ, R.
WINTERRINGER, C. OSBORNE, AND A. D. CHRISTIAN. 2009. Unionoida (Mollusca:
Margaritiferidae, Unionidae) in Arkansas, Third Status Review. Journal of the Arkansas
Academy of Science 63:50-86.
- MARTIN, H. C., J. L. HARRIS, AND A. D. CHRISTIAN. 2009 A qualitative freshwater mussel survey of the
South Fork Spring River, Missouri and Arkansas. Journal of the Arkansas Academy of Science
- MATTHEWS, M.W., F. USREY, S. W. HODGES, J. L. HARRIS, AND A. D. CHRISTIAN. 2009. Species
richness, distribution, and relative abundance of freshwater mussels (Bivalvia: Unionidae) of the
Buffalo National River, Arkansas. Journal of the Arkansas Academy of Science 63:113-130.
- JOHNSON, R.L., A.D. CHRISTIAN, S.D. HENRY, and S.W. BARKLEY. 2009. Distribution, population characteristics, and physical habitat associations of black bass (Micropterus) in the lower Eleven Point River, Arkansas. Southeastern Naturalist 8(4): 653-670.
- CHRISTIAN, A. D., and J. L. HARRIS. 2008. An introduction to directions in freshwater mollusk conservation: molecules to ecosystems. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 27 (2): 345-348
- CHRISTIAN, A. D., B. G. CRUMP, and D. J. BERG. 2008. Nutrient release and ecological stoichiometery of freshwater mussels (Mollusca:Unionidae) in 2 small, regionally distinct streams. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 27(2): 440-450
- ELDERKIN, C. L., A. D. CHRISTIAN, J. L. METCALFE-SMITH, and D. J. BERG. 2008. Population genetics and phylogeography of freshwater mussels in North America, Elliptio dilatata and Actinonaias ligamentina (Bivalvia: Unionidae). Molecular Ecology. 17(9): 2149-2163
- PECK, A. J., J. L. HARRIS, J. L. FARRIS, and A. D. CHRISTIAN. 2007. Assessment of freshwater mussel relocation as a conservation strategy. Pages 115-124 in C. L. Irwin, P. Garrett, and K. P. McDermott, editors. Proceedings of the 2007 International Conference of Ecology and Transportation. Center for Transportation and the Environment, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- BERG, D. J., A. D. CHRISTIAN, and S. I. GUTTMAN. 2007. Population genetic structure of three freshwater mussel (Unionidae) species within a small stream system: significant variation at local spatial scales. Freshwater Biology 52:1427-1439.
- ELDERKIN, C. L., A. D. CHRISTIAN, C. C. VAUGHN, J. L. METCALFE-SMITH, and D. J. BERG. 2007. Population genetics of the freshwater mussel, Amblema plicata (Say 1817) (Bivalvia : Unionidae): Evidence of high dispersal and post-glacial colonization. Conservation Genetics 8(2):355-372.
- CHRISTIAN, A. D., E. M. MONROE, A. M. ASHER, J. M. LOUTSCH, and D. J. BERG. 2007. Methods of DNA extraction and PCR amplification for individual freshwater mussel (Bivalvia: Unionidae) glochidia, with the first report of multiple paternity in these organisms. Molecular Ecology Notes 2007(7):570-573.
- WALKER, J. M., A. E. BOGAN, E. A. BONFIGLIO, D. C. CAMPBELL, A. D. CHRISTIAN, J. P. CUROLE, J. L. HARRIS, R. J. WOJTECKI, and W. R. HOEH. 2007. Primers for amplifying the hypervariable, male-transmitted COII-COI junction region in amblemine freshwater mussels (Bivalvia: Unionoidea: Ambleminae). Molecular Ecology Notes 7(3):489-491.
- MCCORD, S., A. D. CHRISTIAN, AND R. S. GRIPPO. 2006. Biomass dynamics of Tipula (Insecta:Diptera) in forested streams of the Interior Highlands, Arkansas. Journal of the Arkansas Academy of Science 60:74 - 79.
- CHRISTIAN, A. D., J. L. HARRIS, W. R. POSEY, J. F. HOCKMUTH, and G. L. HARP. 2005. Freshwater mussel (Bivalvia : Unionidae) assemblages of the Lower Cache River, Arkansas. Southeastern Naturalist 4(3):487-512.
- CHRISTIAN, A. D., and J. L. HARRIS. 2005. Development and assessment of a sampling design for mussel assemblages in large streams. American Midland Naturalist 153(2):284-292.
- CHRISTIAN, A.D, B.N. SMITH, J. SMOOT, R.H. FINDLAY AND D.J. BERG. 2004. Trophic position and potential food sources of 2 species of unionid bivalves (Mollusca: Unionidae) in 2 small Ohio streams. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 23(1): 101-113
- CHRISTIAN, A.D., J. BOULDIN, N. BICKFORD, L. KANIESKI, S.B. MCCOY, A. MCBRIDE, A. SAKO, AND J.L. FARRIS. 2003. Winter and spring water quality of the Big Creek watershed, Craighead County: nutrients, habitat, and macro-invertebrates. Journal of the Arkansas Academy of Sciences. 57: 27-36
- PERLES, S.J., A.D. CHRISTIAN AND D.J. BERG. 2003. Vertical migration, aggregation and fecundity in captive and field populations of the freshwater mussel Lampsilis siliquoidea. The Ohio Journal of Science 103(4):73-78.
Dr. Christian and his research lab conducts research on the life history, ecology, and evolution of freshwater organisms and the limnology of stream and lake ecosystems. We use a variety of approaches in our investigations such as population/molecular genetics, microbial community structure, ecological stoichiometry, geochemistry, and stable CHNOS isotopes analyses, field and laboratory experiments, and geomorphology, GIS, and statistical techniques. Furthermore, we also use habitat and fish and invertebrate communities surveys and analysis tools to assess water quality and to investigate the effects of perturbations on freshwater communities and ecosystems.
Freshwater Mussel Surveys and Identification (Endangered and Non-endangered)
Freshwater Fish and Invertebrate Sampling and Identification
Elemental Analysis: Tissue, Soil, Particulate Carbon, Nitrogen, and Sulfur
For more details on Professor Christian’s research projects, publications, and students please see his Freshwater Ecology Lab Web page (www.umb.edu/fel)
For information on the Environmental Analytical Facility (EAF) please go to the EAF web page (www.umb.edu/eaf)
For more information on the Coastal Research in Environmental Science and Technology REU (CREST REU) program please visit the CREST REU web page (http://www.umb.edu/crest-reu/)