Asian American Career Development Workshop Series
- Fall 2013 workshop schedule will be posted soon!
The Asian American Career Development Workshop Series, presented by the Asian American Student Success Program and the Office of Career Services and Internships, is a four-part workshop series designed to inform, encourage, and empower Asian American students as they work toward their career goals. The workshops build upon each other. Attending the supplemental labs (+) is also recommended.
* Students who attend all four workshops will receive a Career Development Certificate of Completion *
** Food will be provided **
Workshop Sessions - Spring 2013
Shattering Perceptions - February 12 (Tuesday) - 3:45-6:00pm - Campus Center, 3rd Floor, Room 3545
- Explore the history of Asian Americans in the United States, stereotypes and the media's perception/portrayal of Asian Americans
- Develop strategies to shatter myths and assumptions
- Explore your identity and how it relates to your future career
+ Focus2 Lab - February 19 (Tuesday) - 3:00-4:00pm - Campus Center, Upper Level, Room 133 (Testing Center) +
- This supplemental lab provides an overview on how Focus2, an online career assessment tool, can assist you in assessing your skills, interests, values, and academic strengths as they relate to majors and future careers. Focus2 is required for the Career Exploration workshop (February 26) and you will have an opportunity to take the full assessment during this lab.
Career Exploration - October 3 (Wednesday), 3:45pm-6:00pm, Campus Center 2550 (2nd Floor, University Dining Club)February 26 (Tuesday) - 3:45-6:00pm - Campus Center, 3rd Floor, Room 3545
- Connect your interests, skills, and values to potential careers through Focus 2, a career assessment
- Participate in interactive activities related to exploring careers
- Plan your next steps in working towards your career goals
Networking - March 12 (Tuesday) - 3:45-6:00pm - Campus Center, 2nd Floor, Room 2550 (University Dining Club)
- Learn why networking is important and hear valuable networking tips from Career Specialists and Asian American professionals
- Develop a "30 second introduction" so you are prepared to introduce yourself when meeting professionals
- Practice your networking skills during a mock networking session
+ Dynamic Resumes and Cover Letters - March 14 (Thursday) - 1:00-2:00pm - Campus Center, 1st Floor, Room 1110 +
- Learn tips for writing an impressive resume and listen to strategies related to creating an effective cover letter. Students are encouraged to bring a copy of their resume and cover letter and make edits as well as take notes during the presentation. This workshop will assist you in preparing for both The Interview workshop (April 2) as well as the Career Expo (March 27).
+ Dynamic Resumes and Cover Letters - March 28 (Thursday) - 3:00-4:00pm - Campus Center, 2nd Floor, Room 2545 +
- Learn tips for writing an impressive resume and listen to strategies related to creating an effective cover letter. Students are encouraged to bring a copy of their resume and cover letter and make edits as well as take notes during the presentation. This workshop will assist you in preparing for The Interview workshop (April 2).
The Interview - April 2 (Tuesday) - 3:45-6:00pm - Campus Center, 2nd Floor, Room 2550 (University Dining Club)
- Learn important interviewing tips and essential skills that will assist you in having a successful interview
- Participate in interactive activities designed to strengthen your interviewing skills
- Practice interviewing with Asian American professionals during a mock interview session
Undergraduate student Emmi Tran receives her Career Development Certificate of Completion with AASSP staff Judy Khy and Douglas Jew. Photo taken on April 24, 2012 by Frances K. Chow