Summer 2013 Residential Counselor Positions
Summer Residential Counselor Positions
Please note: this unique opportunity involves being a big brother/sister, confidante, role model and mentor while maintaining a high level of professionalism.
Upward Bound Summer Residential Counselors (RC) are responsible for coordinating and supervising daily activities and workshops and monitoring students during the evening hours throughout our 6-week residential academic summer program. RC’s implement daily athletic activities and nightly cultural/creative workshops and assist in the organization and administration of special events and activities (i.e. Field Day, Spirit Week, and Staff vs. Student Sporting Events). Candidates must be highly motivated, patient, and energetic. This position is residential 5 nights per week.
Staff Orientation (mandatory): TBD / Late June
Summer Program: Sunday afternoons through Friday afternoons: Dates TBD July/August
Location: UMASS Boston does not have residence halls our summer residential program will be hosted at Wheaton College in Norton, MA
Compensation: $2,520 plus free room and board.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Participate in staff orientation week. Full participation is a condition of employment
· Develop and implement recreational/cultural workshops and activities for students
· Enforce UMASS, Upward Bound rules and regulations
· Provide one-on-one personal/academic counseling support as needed
· Attend daily tutor/counselor, staff, and community meetings
· Assist in dormitory supervision at all times
· Remain highly visible to students and staff throughout the course of each day
· Assist in the supervision of field trips, cultural events and recreational activities
· Conduct workshops and run weekly floor meetings
· Monitor meals
· Patrol dormitory grounds during night duty
· Complete necessary evaluation forms distributed by administration
· Assist in dorm/event set-up clean up throughout the program
· Communicate daily with staff members
· Live and work on-site for the duration of the summer program and training
· Carry out any other duties as assigned by the staff.
· Matriculating college students (juniors, seniors and graduate students preferred) with some tutoring/counseling experience working with low-income and/or culturally diverse students.
· Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of high school students.
· Demonstrated ability to coordinate student activities.
· Must be highly energetic.
The goal of the Upward Bound Program is to provide participants with the skills and motivation necessary for access to and success in post-secondary education. Upward Bound students are low-income, first-generation college bound high school students from Mattapan, Dorchester, Roxbury, South Boston, and Jamaica Plain who have shown a strong desire to attend college. Upward Bound strives to help students develop confidence and a love of learning. Upward Bound offers an array of academic, personal enrichment, and college/career services designed to supplement high school education and tailored to address specific student needs, including a residential summer program. The summer program exposes students to life on a college campus, allows for intensive, rigorous academic work, and creates space for students to learn valuable social and decision-making skills. Upward Bound students learn the skills necessary to be agents of change in their own lives, their communities, and the world at large.
How to Apply:
Please email the following items to email@example.com:
- Contact information for 3 references who can speak to your experience and abilities.
- Completed Residential Summer Staff Application
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.