Summer 2013 Residential Tutor Positions
Summer Residential Tutor Positions
Please note: This unique opportunity involves being a big brother/sister, confidante, role model and mentor while maintaining a high level of professionalism.
Job Description: Upward Bound Summer Residential Tutors assist instructors in the successful implementation of rigorous courses and supervise a daily study hall session for students. Residential Tutors also monitor meals and assist in the organization and administration of special events (i.e. Field Day, Spirit Week, and Staff vs. Student Sporting Events). Candidates must be highly motivated, patient, and energetic. This position is residential five nights per week.
Staff Orientation (mandatory): TBD / Late June
Summer Program: Sunday afternoons through Friday afternoons: Dates TBD July/August
Location: UMASS Boston does not have residence halls our summer residential program will be hosted at Wheaton College in Norton, MA
Compensation: $2,520 plus free room and board.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Participate in staff orientation week. Full participation is a condition of employment.
· Supervise and assist students during daily 90-minute study hall.
· Act as a teaching assistant in 4 hour-long courses per day.
· Provide tutorial support for students, especially students in your assigned courses.
· Attend all assigned classes and assist the instructor in the classroom as needed.
· Coordinate and implement study sessions and reading groups during daily study hall.
· Complete daily homework checks with a caseload of students.
· Regularly meet with the instructors of your assigned courses.
· Remain highly visible to students and staff throughout the course of each day.
· Attend daily staff and community meetings.
· Complete necessary evaluation forms distributed by administrators.
· Assist in dorm/event set-up and clean up throughout the summer session.
· Communicate daily with staff members, administrative staff, students, and parents/guardians.
· Enforce Upward Bound rules and regulations.
· Live and work on-site for the duration of the summer program and training.
· Carry out any other duties as assigned by the staff.
· Matriculating college students (juniors, seniors and graduate students preferred) with some tutoring/counseling experience working with low-income and/or culturally diverse students.
· Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of high school students.
· Must have excellent English and/or mathematics skills.
· Ability to tutor students in at least one of the following subject areas: literature and composition, mathematics, science, computer science, or world languages.
· Must be highly energetic
The goal of the Upward Bound Program is to provide participants with the skills and motivation necessary for access to and success in post-secondary education. Upward Bound students are low-income, first-generation college bound high school students from Mattapan, Dorchester, Roxbury, South Boston, and Jamaica Plain who have shown a strong desire to attend college. Upward Bound strives to help students develop confidence and a love of learning. Upward Bound offers an array of academic, personal enrichment, and college/career services designed to supplement high school education and tailored to address specific student needs, including a residential summer program. The summer program exposes students to life on a college campus, allows for intensive, rigorous academic work, and creates space for students to learn valuable social and decision-making skills. Upward Bound students learn the skills necessary to be agents of change in their own lives, their communities, and the world at large.
How to Apply:
Please email the following items to email@example.com:
- Contact information for 3 references who can speak to your experience and abilities.
- Completed Residential Summer Staff Application
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions