UMass Boston is an open CLEP center.
CLEP stands for the College Level Examination Program.
We offer computerized CLEP testing weekly and on Saturday mornings by appointment. You must register in advance to take an exam. Each test is 90 minutes long. Testing sessions last approximately two hours.
- Total cost for CLEP is $105.00.
- $25.00 UMass Boston's administration fee paid at time of registration; check or money order, no cash please
- $80.00 for the test itself, made payable to CLEP; check, money order or credit card.
We offer free CLEP services to active military and their spouses
CLEP reservations are made by calling the testing center at 617-287-5522. An appointment will be made according to our availability. Test scores are automatically printed at the end of the exam, except for exams with essays. Official test results are sent by CLEP to the school you select.
- UMass Boston students must comply with our CLEP credit policy and submit a CLEP Permission form to the Office of the Registrar.
- To view how many UMass Boston college credits you will receive based on your CLEP exam score. See this chart
- All other students should consult their school's transfer office or advising department to review their institution's CLEP policy
- Copies of the College Board's Official Study Guide for CLEP are available for review at the Testing Center and in the Career Resource Library. It can also be downloaded from the College Board Website
- Call the Testing Center 617-287-5522 for further information, directions to campus etc.
Credit and Degree Requirement Guidelines
- All current University of Massachusetts Boston students must obtain prior approval (through the Registrar's office) before taking CLEP exams for credit.
- UMass Boston students who have completed their Distribution requirements are not eligible to receive additional credit for General exams.
- Students who have taken upper level courses in science and/or Math may not earn credit by CLEP exams for lower level (pre-requisite) courses.
- No credit is awarded for CLEP exams when a comparable college course has been completed and passing grade earned.
- Credit awarded through CLEP is considered transfer credit, not "residence" credit.
- No credit will be granted for foreign language CLEP exams. Students will satisfy the Foreign Language requirement with passing scores.
- Students must wait 6 months before repeating the same CLEP test in order to have the second CLEP score considered for credit.
Exams & Scheduling
Prior approval & Transfer credits
Basic information about CLEP on the web at: www.collegeboard.com/clep