Emergency Evacuation Procedure
When a building alarm sounds, or when notified by uniformed Public Safety personnel, or their identified designees, that a building is being evacuated:
- Leave the building immediately. GO OUTDOORS.
- Exit through the nearest stairwell. Follow the stairwell directional arrows to the exit door that leads directly outdoors.
- Maintain a safe distance from the evacuated building. If directed by Public Safety, move to a location at a greater distance.
- Do not re-enter the building for any reason until authorized to do so by Public Safety. Public Safety will keep you informed on building re-occupancy, campus closing and transportation decisions.
PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES NEEDING ASSISTANCE
- If you need assistance, notify your instructor or supervisor.
- Go to the nearest lobby phone located on every floor near the elevators.
- Call Public Safety at 911. Describe the type of assistance you need and your location. You will receive further instructions for your evacuation.
Note: To all classroom instructors and individuals with research and teaching responsibilities.
1. On the first day of classes and labs, announce the location of the nearest exit for the students to use in the event of an emergency evacuation. Briefly discuss the University's evacuation procedure.
2. Instruct students to evacuate the building immediately when a building fire alarm sounds. Under no circumstances is the alarm to be ignored.