Handling and Care of Peroxide-Forming and Nitro Compounds
*WARNING: Under proper conditions, these chemicals will form explosive peroxides which can be detonated by shock or heat.
- Store in airtight containers in a dark, cool, dry place.
- Label containers with receiving, opening and disposal dates.
- Dispose of peroxide forming chemicals before expected date of first peroxide formation in accordance with local regulations.
- Test for the presence of peroxides periodically.
- Ethyl Ether
- Isopropyl Ether
* Potassium peroxide often exists in the crust around a piece of Potassium. When cut with a knife the peroxide rapidly oxidizes the residual kerosene resulting in an explosion.