CPDD believes that a strong local government plays an integral part in the development of newly democratic nations. CPDD democracy promotion projects goals are to foster democratic participation in decision-making and the decentralization of governance. Focusing on decentralizing governmental systems and strengthening local governments, CPDD has been working on democratic promotion in Africa since 1987.
CPDD believes in the intrinsic relationships between the development of democratic institutions and the development of sound economies. We are also committed to the notion of rural development and programs designed to keeping people on the land instead of migrating to already over stressed urban areas.
We also believe that the development of a healthy and competitive entrepreneurial spirit is essential for developing the lives of young people and expanding the range of options that people in developing countries have for their futures. We also believe that education is perhaps the key element for success in a global economy and that universities and other training institutions have a major role to play in a nation’s economic development
Our service offerings include:
- Sector opportunity analysis (e.g. agriculture, mining, ITC)
- Business plan development
- International business exchange programs
- Corporate social responsibility programs
- Public/private partnership programs
- Marketing and business development consulting
- University based entrepreneurship programs
CPDD believes that a competent, independent media is one of the cornerstones for social and economic development. Whether covering politics or the courts, reporting on corruption or criminal behavior, or simply sharing the stories of people’s every-day lives, we see quality media as a basic human right. Particularly important in conflict and post-conflict situations, CPDD's media approach is well suited for these types of challenging social realities. We believe that economic sustainability is the key critical factor in media development and our approach reflects this view.
Media Development Services:
- Media quality enhancement programs
- Specialized rural media programs
- Public opinion surveys on media usage
- Media economics seminars
- Media education program development
- Media funding sources
- Journalist exchange programs
- Specialized training (investigative, legal, environmental)
- Media legislation and rights
Contact the Center for Peace, Democracy, & Development:
Location: Healey Library, 10th Floor, Room 21 (H-10-021)