Coastal Research in Environmental Science and Technology
The “Coastal Research in Environmental Science and Technology (CREST)” program at the University of Massachusetts Boston (UMass Boston) is a 10-week immersive research experience serving 10 undergraduates per year. CREST exposes these students to cutting edge, authentic, coastal environmental research at UMass Boston in an integrative transdisciplinary program across the ecological, environmental, and social sciences. CREST focuses on integrative coastal research crossing disciplinary boundaries that incorporates the ecological, earth, chemical, geographic, and social sciences and leverages the existing research and educational programs within the Environmental, Earth and Ocean Sciences and Biology departments at UMass Boston.
The CREST REU programs offer undergraduate students the opportunity to:
- Carry out independent research project in coastal environmental science (e.g. biology, ecology, geology, chemistry, policy, economics, and management)
- Work closely with a faculty advisor and research group
- Develop laboratory skills
- Develop a cohort and networking skills
- Explore issues of science ethics
- Exchange ideas with students and faculty at weekly seminars
- Participate in field trips/social events in and around Boston Harbor
- Present summer research at a program wide symposium at the end of the program
- Submit end of program research report/manuscript to internal program journal: CREST-REU Journal (to see previous program years research, please click below for a PDF copy of each volume)
The CREST-REU Program at the University of Massachusetts Boston is funded by a National Science Foundation grant (NSF Award # 1062374; OCE-GEO/OCE Education and Human Resources; PIs: Hannigan and Christian)
Funding for this REU site is provide by the National Science Foundation’s Division of Ocean Science's located in Arlington, VA. The NSF contact for this program is Lisa Rom, elrom@NSF.gov or 703-292-7709. NSF does not handle REU applications; please contact each REU site directly for application information.