How to Apply
Program Dates: The application process for the 2013 CREST REU program will start on August 1, 2012 and the 2013 CREST REU program will run from June 3 to August 9, 2013. Travel to and from Boston will be done up 1-2 days before and 1-2 days after these dates. In certain cases, we may be able to accommodate alternative starting or ending times, but these accommodations will only be approved during the offer stage.
Eligibility: Applicants must 1) be citizens or permanent residents of the United States, 2) must be enrolled in college for the fall 2013 (i.e. students who will graduate by June 2013 are not eligible to apply), 3) have successfully completed an introductory course/course sequence major, 4) be willing to live in group (same gender) housing of 4-6 person apartments, and 4) be able to participate in the program full time.
Students that are minorities underrepresented in the sciences, veterans, disabled, or are early (rising sophomores or juniors) in their undergraduate coursework are especially encouraged to apply.
- Make sure program dates work for your schedule
- Essay (3 pages maximum, double spaced) with the title of “Applicant’s Name Essay” and describing your 1) academic and personal background, 2) career goals, and interest in coastal environmental science, 3) how the CREST REU experience will help you in achieving your goals, 4) and a listing of 3-4 faculty you would be interested in working with (please save electronic copy as “Your name Essay” and upload during online application)
- Scanned copy of current unofficial undergraduate transcripts (please save electronic copy as “Your name Transcript” and upload during online application)
- Letters of recommendation from two professors familiar with academic performance (While filling in the online application, you will need to identify name, affiliation, and email address of 2 letter writers. Letter writers will receive an email from us requesting these letters)
- Review possible research mentors (under Research Topics) to be identified on online application
- Fill out and submit online application (click here) ***Please note, all summer 2013 positions have been filled****