Fellows & Researchers
Areas of Expertise
Aging and disability; age-related vision loss and community participation; falls prevention; and program evaluation
PhD (Gerontology). University of Southern California, Los Angeles
MS (Experimental Psychology). Mississippi State, Starkville
BA (English). University of Washington, Seattle
Professional Publications & Contributions
- Pynoos, J., Steinman, B. A., Nguyen, A. Q. D., & Bressette, M. (2012). Assessing and adapting the home environment to reduce falls and meet the changing capacity of older adults. Journal of Housing for the Elderly, 26, 136 – 154.
- Vasunilashorn, S., Steinman, B. A., Liebig, P. S., & Pynoos, J. (2012). Aging in place: Evolution of a research topic whose time has come. Journal of Aging Research. doi:10.1155/2012/120952
- Steinman, B. A. & Allen, S. M. (2012). Self-reported vision impairment and its contribution to disability among older adults. Journal of Aging and Health, 24, 307 - 322
- Steinman, B. A., Nguyen, A. Q. D., Pynoos, J., & Leland, N. (2011). Falls-prevention interventions for older adults who are blind or visually impaired. InSight, 4, 83 – 91.
- Steinman, B. A., & Vasunilashorn, S. (2011). Biological risk of older adults with visual impairments. Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging, 15, 296 – 302.
- Pynoos, J., Steinman, B. A., & Nguyen (2010). Environmental assessment and modification as fall-prevention strategies for older adults. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine, 26, 633 – 644.
- Steinman, B. A., Pynoos, J. & Nguyen, A. Q. D. (2009) Fall risk in older adults: Roles of self-rated vision, home modification, and limb function. Journal of Aging and Health, 21, 655 – 676.
- Liebig, P. S. & Steinman, B. A. (2009). Federalism, state taxation of OASDI benefits, and economic well-being of older Americans. In L. Rogne, C. L. Estes, B. R. Grossman, B. A. Hollister, and E. Solway (Eds.), Social Insurance and Social Justice: Social Security, Medicare, and the Campaign against Entitlements. NY: Springer Publishers.
- Steinman, B. A. (2008). Self-reported vision, upper- /lower-limb disability and fall-risk in older adults. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 27, 406 - 423.
Bernard Steinman is a gerontologist at CSDRA. His areas of interest focus on late life vision impairments and their effects on functioning and health. He has published articles on falls prevention/environmental modification, aging with vision and hearing loss, long-term care options for older and middle-aged people with chronic conditions and disabilities, and aging in place. Steinman has become increasingly interested in methods and evaluation designs used in assessing needs, implementation, and outcomes of programs for older adults. Steinman teaches a graduate level course in program evaluation.