Students - Logging on to the UMass Boston email system for the first time
Logging on to the UMass Boston email system for the first time
- Your username will be mailed to you, either to your existing email address if you provided it to us, or to your home via U.S. mail. If you did not receive this letter, but you do know your student ID number (UMS number), you can look up your email address at our Secure Access ID Lookup page. The username is the part of your email address before the @ sign and will be a combination of your legal first name, last name, and a three digit number.
- Your password will be in the following format: First letter of your last name (uppercase) + second letter of your last name (lowercase) + your date of birth as eight numbers (MMDDYYYY). Example: Sandy Beach, born Feb. 1, 1990, might have a username of sandy.beach001 and an initial password of Be02011990.
- Go to our self-service password management page at https://spmt.umb.edu (there is also a link to this address on the webmail page in step 5) and review the password policy at the bottom. Make sure the password you choose follows those guidelines and click “Change my Password” to change your default password to a secure personal password. Log in with your username (the part of your email address before the @) and default password, and either use the Generated password at the top or enter your own by clicking the button next to "Enter" and typing your new password into the boxes on the right. When you are ready, click "Change Password."
- Once you have changed your password and received confirmation that it was changed, click “Return to Main Menu now” and click “Edit my Profile” to set up your profile (security questions)., select three security questions, and provide answers. These security questions can be used in the furure with the "Reset My password" function if you have forgotten it. (Be careful typing, and be sure to remember your security answers. Without them there will be a significant delay in resetting your password in the future.) Click “Update” to save your profile.
- Go to http://webmail.umb.edu and click on “Logon.” Log in with your full UMass Boston email address (including the @umb.edu) and new password you created in step two.
- At the next screen, if you have low vision and use a screen reader or high contrast settings, you can select the check box to optimize Outlook Web Access for this and all subsequent sessions. After you log on, you can modify this choice at any time using Options.
- Select the language you prefer for the email interface.
- Choose the time zone you are in. We are at GMT–05:00 Eastern Standard Time (US and Canada). This selection is located at the top portion of the drop box selections).
You can see full instructions for using the password change page at our Managing Your Password page.
If you need further help, you can send an email to ITServiceDesk@umb.edu or call (617) 287-5220. We are available from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.