Office 365 Announcement to Faculty & Staff
We are happy to inform you that Information Technology Services Division (ITSD) will be upgrading the email system. In the coming months we will upgrade our email system to Office 365. Some of the benefits of this upgrade are:
- Mailbox size (quota) will increase from 500mb to 25 GB. This is a 50-fold increase in capacity.
- The web interface (email.umb.edu) will be significantly improved.
- Mac users will now be able to use Outlook, which is the email client in Office 2011.
- You will have access to Word, Excel and other Office applications online.
In order to access the new email system (Office 365) there are a few things that you need to be aware of:
1. If you are using a PC and Office 2003 or an earlier version, you MUST upgrade to Office 2007 or 2010. Support for Office 2003 and earlier versions is being phased out by Microsoft. To find out which version of Office you are running, please open/launch any of the Office apps (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc) and click on ‘File > Help’. If you are using version 2003 or an earlier version please send an email message to ITServiceDesk@umb.edu requesting an upgrade to one of the supported versions (2007/2010).
2. If you are using a Mac, you should be running at least version OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) and the mail client that you have to use is Office 2011 or Mac Mail on the Leopard and Lion Operating systems. Entourage and earlier versions of MacMail will not work under Exchange mode; however it will work in POP/IMAP modes. You can see what version of the Mac operating system you are using by choosing “About this Mac” from the Apple menu in the top left corner of the screen.
3. Your email address will NOT change
4. Your password will NOT change
5. The web mail client has been significantly improved and offers the same functionality as the Office 2010/2011 Outlook mail client.
6. You will have access to online versions of Word, Excel and other Office applications.
7. Rules and forwarding settings will NOT change
ITSD will host a couple of ‘Open House’ events in the coming months that faculty & staff can drop in and get questions answered and see a demo of Office 365 as well.
Please visit http://www.umb.edu/it/getting_services/email/office365 for latest updates and more information as it becomes available.
More information about Office 365 can be found at: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/online-software.aspx
If you have any questions, please contact the IT Service Desk at (617) 287-5220 or email ITServiceDesk@umb.edu.