Scan Your Computer
The recent Java expolit is a good reason to remind you to frequently scan your computer and browser for security problems and out-of-date software!
- Frequently scan your browser and PC for updates using the link above.
- Do not install more software than you need, and only after you have versified that it is safe.
- Password protect your comnputer and protect your password. Learn more about managing your UMB password.
- Learn to avoid phishing scams.
- Set your computer to automatically update itself and turn on its firewall.
Install anti-virus/anti-spyware software:
Employees using PCs on the UMB network should install McAfee ViruScan and EPO.
Everyone else (including employees wishing to protect home PCs) should install one of several good free anti-virus programs such as Avast.
For more, see our Safe Computing handout.
About this service
In an agreement that the University of Massachusetts Boston has with the Qualys Corporation, a leader in PC scanning software, the university can now scan your PC for out-of-date software and system patches.
This browser check works on both Macintosh and Windows machines and will scan your PC for updates any installed software you have.
Note: This tool does not make changes to your computer, but recommends that you update any out of date software and provides links when they are available.