- Carrier Information
- Personal Mobile Device Discounts
- Ordering Info
- Traveling Abroad
- Policies & Procedures
Blackberries and iPhones are advanced handheld communications devices. Blackberries and iPhones provide access to your UMass email,calendar,contacts and much more.
- If you need a cell phone or Blackberry for a short period of time we can loan out to your department. Your department will be responsable for charges that are accrued while using the device. The user will need to provide a speed type to use for the monthly service.
- All existing phone numbers are transferable no matter the carrier. If the department is paying for the unit and the users wants to keep their number we will need to gather the users personal information in order to port their number into the UMass account.
For details please 7-5252
In order to get support on your mobile device is please call the IT Service Desk at 7-5220, a ticket will be created and assigned to the proper group.
- For those users that currently own their own personal mobile/cell device from ATT and work for the University you can now receive discounts up to 15% on their monthly invoices by visiting http://www.att.com/wirelessdiscounts
- Users using Sprint will need to bring their UMass ID or Pay Stub and present this Corporate ID: GAUNV_SMA_ZZZ to the Sprint store in the South Shore Mall in order to receive 15% on their monthly invoice.
- Users using Verizon will need to bring their UMass ID to the a local store and mention how can they qualify to receive discounts if they work for State.
Steps for getting a BlackBerry or iPhone device
For device details please visit:
- Someone with budget signing authority submits Cell Request Form to order the device and accessories.
- Telecom receives the device after approximately 5 days and notifies IT Service desk. If the user currently has a cellular device and would like to have their number ported over Telecom will need that device number before their number can be moved to their new device.
- Systems is notified that a new device needs to be activated on the BES server.
- The user is contacted by the IT Service Desk and informed the device is ready to be delivered and activated.
When traveling outside the United States is important to inform Telecommunications, which then will call the carrier to apply the proper plans while traveling abroad. The reason we need to be notified is to make sure your device is compatible while traveling outside the US. If Telecommunication is not inform,the user will accrued roaming charges which will not be credited back to their account. Below is a link on what each carrier charges while traveling outside the US.
- AT&T International
- Verizon International
- Sprint International
- Top things to avoid while using your smartphone
The Telecommunications Department at UMass/Boston provides Cell Phones and Pagers to faculty and staff as required for work and with permission of their Department Head. The costs associated with these devices will be paid for by encumbrances in the Telecommunications Department; and then the costs – both monthly fixed and usage charges of each device will be re-charged to the appropriate budget number provided by the Department Head when the request is made. A copy of the billing statement for each device will be sent monthly to the person in possession of the device for review and verification. We presently have Cell Phones from three service providers; and there are two service providers for pager services. We use the State Contract when applicable to assist us in choosing our service providers.