VPN stands for "virtual private network (VPN)". It is a special way to gain access to UMass Boston servers and requires special authorization.
The UMass Boston Virtual Private Network (VPN) provides a remote link to University's network resources, including secure production systems. The VPN is a web-based solution that allows authorized full time staff and faculty to access these systems from any remote location with an Internet-connected computer. The use of VPN access must be approved by the department head and is strictly for university-related business.
VPN user manuals are available for both Windows XP and Windows Vista / 7. If you intend to remotely control your office PC; you should read page 15 (in XP document) or page 18 (in Vista and 7 document) to configure your office PC first.
Name of applications which VPN IS NOT required to access from off-campus
- HEATself service
- R25 / S25 / X25
- Student Information – self-service access (WISER) ( Entering or accessing grades) Finance – self-service access
- Finance – back office processing
- HR Direct (HCM – self-service/back office processing )
- ECRT – self-service & back office processing
- Blackboard, Wiki
- Email (within the USA). If you are overseas and your mail client uses IMAP or POP to access email, you will need VPN access.