Add an Additional User to Student’s WISER Account
You have the option of allowing your parent or anyone else you designate to log in to your WISER account. You can:
- Give the another person access to all your data or to selected information.
- Allow that person to pay your bill online.
- Provide access to as many additional people as you choose.
- Change or revoke access at any time.
Please note: Only YOU can grant or remove access to this information. Staff members in academic or financial offices at UMass Boston cannot grant, change or remove this access. UMass Boston staff members, including the IT Service Desk, will not have access to the password. They are unable to reset a password that YOU have created for your designate.
Persons given access to your WISER Student Center page will also be able to view any holds, including financial and disciplinary holds, placed on your account, but you have full control over access to your account at all times.
After you have followed the steps below, entered the required information and created a password, the system will alert your parent or designee by email, with a copy to your campus email address. You must give that person the password you created for him/her.
- Log in to WISER Student Self Service.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Student Center and click on Grant Addl Access to Your Acct.
- Enter the First Name of the person to whom you want to grant access.
- Enter the Last Name of the person.
- Enter that person’s email address (not your own email address).
- The system will automatically create a user ID, consisting of the email user ID (the part before the @) followed by _UM, and will display it in the User ID field.
- In the Password field, enter a password for the person (not your own password). The password must contain at least 6 characters and at least one number.
- In the Confirm Pswd field, enter that same password again. This is the password the other person will use to log in to your WISER account.
- To allow the other person to see your data, click in the check boxes. You may select as many or as few as you want.
- If you want your parent to pay your bill, be sure to click Make a Payment.
- If you wish to allow the person to view all your data and pay your bills, instead of clicking the check boxes, click Grant Access to All Functions.
- Click Save.
- You will see a message confirming that the save was successful.
- Click OK.
Grant Access to Additional Persons
If you wish to grant access to another person, click the plus sign (+) at the top right of the Additional Access page.
Enter the required information for the second person and click Save, then click OK. You may repeat this process to grant access to as many people as you like, but you are advised to exercise caution in granting access to your student records.
Tell the Other Person How to Access Your Data
The system will automatically send an email to the email address you specified. The email will tell the person that he/she now has access to the system and will contain the person’s User ID, a link to the WISER home page and instructions to obtain the password from you. You will receive a copy of the email. The designated person must use the Designated Access Log-in link on the WISER home page.
You must provide the person with the password you entered in the Additional Access page. Advisem that staff members on campus will not be able to assist them. You might also want to send the person a link to instructions for accessing your account.
Important: To maintain the security of your student records, do not send the web link, the user ID and, in particular, the password to the person in one email. It is preferable to give the person the password in person with a reminder that access to your account may not be shared with anyone else. If you must email the password, send it separately, with no other identifying information.
At the bottom of your Student Center page, click Grant Addl Access to Your Acct.
If you have granted access to more than one person, use the arrow buttons at the top right of the Additional Access page to display the information of the person whose access you wish to change.
To change access:
- Click on the check boxes to change the access.
- If you want to change the password, enter a new password twice.
- Click Save.
- Click OK.
- Each time you change the access, the system will send an email notification to the person with a copy to you.
To revoke access:
- Click on the minus sign ( – ) at the top right corner of the page.
- A confirming message will appear. Click OK.
- Another message will appear advising you that it may take up to a minute after you click Save for the deletion to occur: Click OK.
- Click Save .
- Click OK.
- The system will automatically send a message to the person indicating that his/her access has been revoked.