Transfer Student Orientation
Welcome transfer students!
Regardless of your previous college experience, you will need time to learn the UMass Boston culture and transition into the community. Here is some more information about our Transfer Student Orientation:
At Beacon Beginnings: Transfer Student Orientation, you will:
- Meet other new transfer students, current student leaders and administrators, faculty and staff;
- Attend a group advising session and get a summary of your degree requirements and other important academic information. You’ll get all the help you need to start choosing your classes for the upcoming semester;
- Learn about campus services, activities, opportunities and resources;
- Enroll in courses for the upcoming academic semester;
- Learn the University’s expectations for students both in and out of the classroom;
- Have an opportunity to answer all of your questions from offices such as Financial Aid, Dean of Students, Health Services and more;
- Feel better prepared to start UMass Boston.
Important information for Transfer Students
Some transfer students may need to take either the Mathematics placement exam or the Critical Writing assessment BEFORE attending orientation.
The mathematics placement test is required of all incoming undergraduate students EXCEPT:
- Liberal arts students receiving math transfer credit who do not intend to take more math courses.
- Sciences or management students receiving transfer credit for calculus or higher.
- Liberal arts and Nursing students receiving transfer credit for statistics.
The following new students are required to complete the Critical Reading and Writing Assessment:
- Transfer students without credit for English Composition I.
For more information, please visit the Testing Services website. Transfer students who need to complete one or both placement exams should attend the walk- in hours at the Testing Center BEFORE attending the Transfer Student Orientation. Click here for the walk in exam calendar.
Transfer Credit Evaluation
It is very important for transfer students to make sure they have sent their final transcripts from all previous institutions to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. This will ensure that your transfer credits can be evaluated in a timely manner. At orientation you will have access to a complete degree audit that will provide even greater detail as to how your credits will be applied. Utilizing the degree audit, you will register for classes at orientation. In the meantime, you can get more information about the transfer credit process and see how courses from your previous institution may transfer to UMass Boston at www.umb.edu/transfer_credits.
Immunizations and Health Insurance
All new students must submit their completed immunizations forms to University Health Services by August 31 (for students accepted for the Fall 2013 semester). Click here for more information on required immunizations, health insurance options and to download the immunization form.
Parking and Transportation on Campus
It's never to early to start planning how you will get to campus each day.
- If you plan to drive to campus, explore options for parking and consider purchasing a prepaid parking pass for access to more parking lots and reduced parking rates.
- Public transportation can provide a very convenient option for getting to campus as well. Students may purchase semester MBTA passes at reduced rates through the Office for Student Activites and Leadership.