University Policy on Campus Closings
Procedures for Campus Closings:
- Closings announced before the work day: The announcement of closing—which may be for the entire day or for morning classes only —will be available at the UMass Boston website, local television and radio stations*, and the main campus switchboard (287-5000). The bulletin board at the website will also display weather announcements. Campus phone lines must remain open in case of emergency so please do not call the Office of Public Safety.
- Closings announced during the work day: Faculty and staff will be notified by the Office of Human Resources. Information will also be available at the main switchboard and the UMass Boston website, as well as on television and radio whenever possible.
- On TV or radio, after 5:30 am: WBZ TV (Channel 4), WCVB TV (Channel 5), and WHDH TV (Channel 7); WUMB (91.9 FM), WRKO (680 AM), and WBZ (1030 AM)
Types of Announcements
- University Closed/Classes Cancelled: All classes canceled, all offices and library closed: only designated and assigned snow day personnel will report at the regular time.
- Delayed Opening/Late Opening/No Morning Classes: All morning classes canceled. Classes resume normally starting with those scheduled to meet at 11:30 am. Snow day personnel report at regular time. All other staff report at 10:00 a.m.
- No Evening Classes: All classes scheduled to meet at 4:00 pm and after that time are canceled. Snow day personnel work their regular hours; all others are allowed to leave by 4:00 p.m.
Other Snow-Related Issues
- Off-campus classes: Decisions about cancellations at off-campus sites are made by the local facility, not by the University. Students taking classes at off-campus sites should listen for radio announcements concerning the status of those locations.
- Transportation: The shuttle from campus to JFK station will continue even though classes may be cancelled. The shuttle will also continue to operate for several hours after an early closing or late opening; it may be subject to delays caused by weather conditions.
- Food Services: Every effort will be made to have some level of services available in the Quinn Administration Building when the campus opens for operation. Menu may be limited.
- Athletic Events: If the University closes early and there are athletic events scheduled, decisions about possible cancellations can be found at the main switchboard.
- Early Learning Center: If the University is closed, the Center will be closed during the same time period. If there is an early dismissal, the Center will arrange with parents for an appropriate pickup time.
- Special Events and All Other Activities on Campus: If you need to inquire about continuing education classes, the library, or a special event scheduled to occur on campus during the weekend, you should call the main switchboard for specifics.