Preparing to Lead: An Initiative for Next Generation Latino Leadership 2013 Program Overview
It is estimated that the Latino community will double in size over the next 40 years and will comprise more than 30% of the United States population by 2050. To help develop a cadre of next generation leaders from and for this community, the Center for Public Leadership (CPL) at the Harvard Kennedy School (HKS) has established the Latino Leadership Initiative (LLI), which hosted its first class of young leaders in June, 2010.
The Initiative has been made possible by a generous donation of seed funding by Entravision Communications Corporation, and by Entravision’s Chairman and CEO, Walter Ulloa. CPL is grateful to Mr. Ulloa for his visionary leadership in supporting the initial phase of the Initiative.
The LLI annually serves some of the nation’s most promising undergraduates with demonstrated interest in serving the Latino community. Our mission is to recruit participants whose academic achievement will be complemented by an intensive, week-long leadership development program at the Harvard Kennedy School.
- To enhance the leadership capacity and understanding of a cadre of students committed to serving the Latino community;
- To help participants form a strong and durable bond among themselves and with other leaders; and
- To inspire participants to view their own possibilities for leadership and professional achievement as limitless.
The LLI features classroom sessions on a range of leadership development topics, including self-awareness and core competencies such as public speaking, decision making and negotiation. In addition, the young leaders have an opportunity to network and build a community among themselves, and to interact with a range of leaders from the nonprofit, business, and government sectors. LLI participants are also responsible for creating personal leadership action plans and team based community service projects designed to enrich their local communities and help them utilize their new leadership skill sets.
The Second annual LLI Program will be held from Saturday, June 8, 2013 to Saturday, June 15, 2013 at the Harvard Kennedy School in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
In order to be eligible for the LLI, applicants must meet the following criteria by June 2013:
- Be nominated by their school.
- Be in the summer between the junior and senior year of their undergraduate studies.
- Plan to be on campus for their entire senior year.
- Have a demonstrated interest in learning about leadership development.
- Have a demonstrated interest and track record of community and school involvement in helping to serve the Latino community.
- Be a U.S citizen, legal permanent resident, or a legal U.S visitor with a valid visa and passport.
- Must have a GPA 3.20 or higher.
- Be able to spend the entire week of June 8, 2013 to June 15, 2013 at the Harvard Kennedy School in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
For more information
University of Massachusetts Boston LLI Representatives: