Message from the Director
At Marine Operations we have had a very busy fall and winter repairing and refreshing equipment for this coming year. We began to rebuild our Fox Point docks this past September by replacing our aging old wooden top floats with a new wider, stable, aluminum float center span. This system will be further shored up by new steel pilings which are on their way.
The Waterfront Recreation program is committed to increasing services for the coming season with the addition of several new sailing hulls, Stand-up Paddle (SUP) boards and a pilot Bike rental program along the Harborwalk.
Our Monday Harbor Cruises will return, leaving every Monday at noon from June through September from the Fox Point dock, these generally fill to capacity on nice days. Please stop down and check us out and get out on the water.
Monday Harbor Cruises from 12 to 1:15 p.m.
See the sea: Every Monday from June 3rd through September 30th, explore your horizons while getting to know your fellow students and/or coworkers as you cruise around the Boston Harbor Islands aboard the M/V Columbia Point boat.
|Students with valid UMass Boston ID||FREE|
|Faculty and Staff||$5.00|
|Community Members (All Non-UMass Boston)||$10.00|
Tickets Available on a first-come/ first-serve basis
NO RESERVATIONS REQUIRED
Cruises depart from the Fox Point Dock, located adjacent to University Drive between Wheatley and McCormack Halls.
Boston Lighthouse Tours
Join a National Park Service Ranger, for one of the most exciting tours that the Boston Harbor Islands national park area has to offer! During this unforgettable adventure tour of Boston Light, you'll step directly from the boat into the past. Historic Little Brewster Island is located in the outer reaches of Boston Harbor providing unique views of the city and the surrounding waterways.
During your ranger-guided adventure to Little Brewster Island, you'll enjoy:
- An exciting boat ride to the island, leaving from Boston and voyaging through the Harbor Islands National Park Area
- Chronicles of the maritime traditions of Boston Harbor and island life, past and present
- Views of the park's three lighthouses: Graves Light, Long Island Head Light, and Boston Light
- A tour of Little Brewster Island, where you'll meet the US Coast Guard light keeper, view the light station structures like the cistern and oil house, and climb the 76 steps to the top of the tower for a close up look at Boston Light's Fresnel lens
- During your time on the island, you may want to enjoy a picnic lunch you brought along and take in the spectacular view of the harbor from its most recognized gateway. Explore the island's history, light tower and buildings or just relax and enjoy being on island time!