Written by Professor Padraig O'Malley
- Shades of Difference: Mac Maharaj & the Struggle for South Africa, Penguin, Fall 2006 (15,000 word Forward by Nelson Mandela).
- Sticks and Stones: Living with Uncertain Wars, ed., University of Massachusetts Press, April 2006
- Southern Africa: The People’s Voices, University of Western Cape Press SA, 1999.
- Uneven Paths: Advancing Democracy in Southern Africa, ed., New Namibia Press, 1994.
- Homelessness: New England and Beyond, ed., University of Massachusetts Press, 1992.
- Biting at the Grave: The Irish Hunger Strikes and the Politics of Despair, Beacon Press, Boston, 1990. - Selected as One of the Six Best Nonfiction Books of the Year by the New York Times Book Review, 1990. Short listed for both Ewart Biggs Memorial Prize (a short list of five) and the Irish Times/Aer Lingus Irish Literature Prize (a short list of three).
- Northern Ireland: Question of Nuance, Blackstone Press, Belfast, 1990.
- The AIDS Epidemic: Private Rights and the Public Interest, ed., Beacon Press, 1989.
- The Uncivil Wars: Ireland Today, Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, 1983; Blackstaff Press, London, Dublin and Belfast, 1983; Beacon Press, Boston, 1990; Beacon Press 1997 - Christopher Edward-Biggs Memorial Prize, 1984.
- Irish Industry: Structure and Performance, Gill and Macmillan, Dublin, 1971; Macmillan, London, 1971; Barnes and Noble, New York, 1972.