University College Announces Launch of the Center for Innovation and Excellence in e-Learning (CIEE)
Event Date: May 03, 2012 - 11 a.m.
Location: Ryan Lounge, 3rd Floor, McCormack Hall
University College Announces the Launch of the Center for Innovation and Excellence in e-Learning (CIEE)
Thursday May 3, 2012
Ryan Lounge, 3rd Floor (McCormack Hall)
Greetings from Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Winston E. Langley
University College Dean Philip DiSalvio
Variability and Learning Analytics: Why UMass Universities Must “Own” the Big Data
Center for Applied Special Technology (CAST) & Harvard Graduate School of Education
Learn why keynote speaker Todd Rose believes UMass Boston (and sister campuses of the UMass System) can become a dominant force in the new era of analytics-enabled cyberlearning. Rose contends that variability is a conceptual innovation; and asserts that dealing directly with variability can pay public dividends.
Followed by a Panel Discussion:
The Future of Learning Analytics at UMass
• Betzi Bateman, Instructional Design Program Director, University College, University of Massachusetts Boston (newly-appointed program director)
• Roger Blake, Assistant Professor of Management Information Systems, College of Management, University of Massachusetts, Boston.
• Nishikant (Nish) Sonwalkar, (Sc. D., MIT), Director of Research, United States Distance Learning Association, Former Director of Hypermedia Teaching Facility and Principal Educational Architect, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
• Matthew Harris, owner and operation of College Miner, Inc., Quincy, Massachusetts.
• Neil Heffernan III, Associate Professor of Computer Science at Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
Tags: university college