Tag: American Studies
- Black-Asian Encounters: A Panel Discussion
Join the conversation as a panel of experts take on the complicated and important history and current state of social and cultural relations between African Americans and Asian Americans.
- Book Party: Inventing the Egghead
Join the American Studies Department and celebrate the publication of Assistant Professor of American Studies Aaron Lecklider’s first book.
- Harbor Gallery Showcasing New Work From Radical ‘80s Artist
Boston’s emergence as a hub for provocative art continues in February with a new exhibit at UMass Boston’s Harbor Gallery. Lifelines: Recent Work by Avram Finkelstein showcases never-before-seen contemporary pieces from one of the most influential radical artists of the 1980s.
- American Studies Book Party
Join us to celebrate the publication of Rachel Rubin's new book.
- Jeff Biggers, author of “State out of the Union”
Come Discuss the In-Depth Study of the so-called "Immigration Crisis" in Arizona with acclaimed journalist and commentator, Jeff Biggers
- 2012 Master’s Mentoring Award Goes to American Studies Expert Judith Smith
Smith has been lauded for the dedication and encouragement she gives to her graduate students for guiding them through the MA Program in American Studies.
- Visual and Popular Cultures of the Spanish-American War of 1898
"A remarkable feat of archival research....that will further our understanding of this complicated moment in American history."--David Brody, author of "Visualizing American Empire"
- OIRP Administrative Assistant Presents Paper at Conference in Germany
OIRP's Jennifer Skinnon, a UMass Boston American studies MA graduate, traveled to Heidelberg to present a paper she revised from her thesis.
- IDEAS Boston 2012
For the second consecutive year, the region’s leading thinkers come to UMass Boston to share their big ideas. Associate Professor of American Studies Lynnell Thomas is one of the featured speakers.