Tag: Mccormack Graduate School
- Audience at Public Affairs Career Panel and Honor Society Induction told, “MSPA Rocks!”
McCormack Grad School holds annual public affairs career event and first honor society induction.
- White House Expert Discusses Effective, Accountable Government at UMass Boston Lecture
Shelley Metzenbaum speaks on delivering effective, accountable, trusted government at McCormack Grad School lecture.
- Stopping Climate Change, A Global Responsiblity
UN climate chief Christiana Figueres talks about climate conflict at recent UMass Boston event.
- Commonwealth Compact’s 5th Anniversary Celebration: State of Workforce Diversity and Inclusion
From the Pipeline to the Board Room: Join us for a panel discussion, an address by Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, and the release of Commonwealth Compact's Benchmarks Report.
- Islamic Peacemaking - A Talk by Conflict Resolution Alumnus Doron Pely
Join us to learn more about the mediation and arbitration tools used to transform attitudes from vengeance to forgiveness.
- Careers in Aging Event: Career Panel and Luncheon
UMass Boston welcomes prospective students and others interested in the booming aging industry to this free event on April 8.
- UMass Boston to Hold Careers in Aging Event on April 8
Nationwide events during Careers in Aging Week will steer students toward booming aging industry.
- Ira Jackson Named Interim Dean of McCormack Graduate School
Former Revenue Commissioner, BankBoston Executive Joins UMass Boston
- UMass Boston Receives $1 Million Grant from Osher Foundation
The University of Massachusetts Boston has received a second $1 million gift from the Bernard Osher Foundation to continue funding of the university’s Osher Lifelong Learning Institute.
- CSP Study Suggests Employers Find Distinct Value in Meeting Labor Needs through Alternative Staffing
Center for Social Policy issues final report on Alternate Staffing Demonstration Project
- Commonwealth Compact Expands with New Signers and Board Members
McCormack Grad School diversity project is growing
- Public Policy Dissertation Proposal Defense on Gentrification in Jamaica Plain
Jennifer Douglas will present her research proposal on real estate actors and policies in this Boston neighborhood.
- Women’s Political Leadership in Massachusetts
The Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy hosts a panel discussion as part of its Leading Women speaker series.
- Professor Robert Weiner Ends Long Term as Graduate Program Director at MGS
After ten years as GPD of the international relations graduate program, Weiner turns over the reins to J. Samuel Barkin.
- McCormack Graduate School Fall Reception
Acting Dean Connie Chan invites all MGS faculty, staff, students, and alums to this welcome-back event.
- UMass Boston Sends Group to Rio+20 Sustainability Conference
7 professors, students, and fellows represented UMass Boston at the once-a-decade environmental conference in Rio de Janeiro in June.
- Book on Post-Disaster Recovery Published
Rebuilding Sustainable Communities with Vulnerable Populations after the Cameras Have Gone, a product of the Center for Rebuilding Sustainable Communities after Disasters (CRSCAD) at University of Massachusetts Boston, was published Wednesday in the United Kingdom.
- American Society for Public Administration Honors UMass Boston Student
Daniel Moriarty, a 2012 candidate for the master of science degree in public affairs, has been awarded the Paul G. Keough Outstanding Student of Public Administration Award.
- U.S. News & World Report Puts MSPA Program in Top Tier
U.S. News and World Report recognizes the quality and value of McCormack Graduate School's MSPA Program.
- George Mitchell’s “Unshakable Belief in Peace” Evident at Recent Conflict Resolution Lecture
Mitchell delivers candid reflections on turmoil in the Middle East and its effect on U.S. policy.
- George J. Mitchell to Speak on Middle East Policy at UMass Boston
Former Senator George J. Mitchell will speak at UMass Boston on the “Turmoil in the Middle East and its Effect on U.S. Policy” on Tuesday, April 24, at 10 a.m. as part of the Sylvia and Benjamin Slomoff Lecture in Conflict Resolution.
- StatNet Conference: Managing Performance Using Data in Municipal Government
Attend this interactive, pragmatic training on how to improve city management by using data more strategically.
- UMass Boston Professor Leads Discussion on Government Accountability
Michael Ahn and State Auditor Suzanne Bump speak at local American Society for Public Administration event
- Professionals of Color: Collective Presence, Collective Power
Commonwealth Compact's May 21 annual meeting features keynote by Carol Fulp
- “Welcome to the Future” Seminar Hosted by Commonwealth Compact
An executive forum and thought leadership seminar on the wide-ranging business impact of diversity.
- Working at the United Nations: An Insider’s Perspective on UN Careers
On April 12, Harris Gleckman, a retired UN official, will speak to the UMass Boston community about careers at the United Nations.
- Friends of OLLI Celebration
Join us for this fundraising gala, dinner, and silent auction to benefit the Osher LIfelong Learning Institute.
- Moving to Implement an Equity Paradigm
Seminar sponsored by Commonwealth Compact and Massachusetts Office of Access and Opportunity
- Diversity and Public Service in a Time of Change: Challenges and Opportunities
Can public services be tailored to diverse populations yet balance equity and effectiveness?
- Rezarta Bilali Published in Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology
Assistant Professor Bilali pens article on "Attributions of Responsibility and Perceived Harm in the Aftermath of Mass Violence."
- Quebec and Massachusetts: Common Challenges and Opportunities in a Globalized World
Quebec Delegate to New England Jean-Stéphane Bernard will deliver the keynote speech on the topic of public diplomacy with an emphasis on the Quebec’s role in the international scene as a federated s
- Seminar: Diversity and Inclusion: Key Challenges for 2012
Join Commonwealth Compact for an interactive and provocative discussion.
- Brenner to Serve on E Pluribus Unum Prizes Advisory Board
McCormack Grad School's Christine Brenner chosen for national board
- Group of Policymakers, Scientists, Thought Leaders Converge to Discuss Effects of Climate Change
GC '12 will focus on three specific themes examining the overall problem of climate change from different perspectives with a unified goal of understanding how to mitigate the effects that we can control and adapt to those that we cannot.
- MGS Colleagues Help Older Learners Find Enrichment at Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
McCormack faculty, staff and students teach a wide variety of topics at OLLI
- MS Public Affairs Career Night
Please join us for our first MS Public Affairs Career Night featuring a panel of MSPA program alums. Find out what they’re doing with their degrees, how they got there, and much more!
- Delivering Results: Implementing Performance Management in Massachusetts
This conference will review how the commonwealth is using performance management to accomplish its goals.
- Lecture: Aging, Race/Ethnicity, and Oral Health in the U.S.
Gerontology Institute Colloquium series hosts Bei Wu, PhD
- Lecture: Advances in Palliative Care
Gerontology Institute Colloquium Series hosts Jane Givens, MD
- Lecture: The ACTIVE Study: 10-Year Follow-Up Results
Gerontology Institute Colloquium Series hosts Sharon Tennstedt, PhD
- Lecture: Update on Home Healthcare Research
Gerontology Institute Colloquium Series hosts Carol Ellenbecker, PhD.
- Lecture: Disability and the Environment: A Critical Look at Measurement and the Evidence
Gerontology Institute Colloquium Series hosts Julie T. Keysor, PhD
- Massachusetts Initiative to Expand Private Pension Coverage
Pension Action Center embarks on new initiative to expand private pension coverage.
- Black History Breakfast
Sponsored by the Multicultural Symposium Series and McCormack Graduate School's Commonwealth Compact
- The Science of Better: Michael Johnson’s Research on Foreclosed Housing
Public Policy and Public Affairs Department Chair uses operations research models in his community-based research
- Ahn Makes Many Contributions to the Field of Public Administration
Assistant Professor of Public Policy and Public Affairs Michael Ahn is active in local and national professional associations.
- Public Policy Alumna Earns Presidential Award at San Francisco State
Jennifer Shea, PhD selected for competitive professional development award
- MSPA Alumna Promoted to Deputy Director at the MBTA
Tammy Powell puts her public affairs degree to work in new role.
- McCormack Graduate School Donates to Local Food Pantry
Alumni and staff collected over 250 food items for the Weymouth Council for the Hungry
- Governor Patrick Appoints Dean Stephen Crosby to Chair Massachusetts Gaming Commission
Governor Deval Patrick has appointed Stephen Crosby, dean of the McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies, as chair of the Massachusetts Gaming Commission.
- Board of Higher Education Approves PhD in Global Governance and Human Security
The newly approved program has begun accepting applications and expects to welcome its first cohort of students in September 2012.
- CSP Research Director Françoise Carré Invited to Join GESTES
Responsibilities to include academic review and advice for research projects and conferences
- The Civilian Response Corps: Using conflict prevention expertise to inform decision makers ...
Conflict Resolution Colloquium IV with Maria J. Stephan, PhD, interagency planner with the U.S. State Department’s Bureau of Conflict and Stabilization Operations
- Civility and American Democracy: A Forum
Seats are available for the Friday sessions of the Center for Civil Discourse's forum exploring civil discourse, the tension in its theory and practice, and its place in American democracy.
- The Right to Vote: Access to the Polls from the Civil Rights Act of 1957 to the Elections of 2012
Join us for the Robert Wood Lecture by the Honorable Gordon A. Martin, Jr. sponsored by McCormack Graduate School.
- Lillian Glickman Receives Frank J. Manning Leadership Award
The Massachusetts Association of Older Americans, Inc. will be honoring Lillian Glickman, co-director of the Gerontology Management of Aging Services Program at their Annual Meeting on October 21st with the Frank J. Manning Leadership Award.
- Hendrik Wagenaar: “Understanding Prostitution Policy”
The Center for Social Policy is sponsoring this event, along with the McCormack Graduate School, the Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy, and the Gerontology Institute.
- UMass Boston Gerontology Students Participate in Memory Walk
UMass Boston Gerontology students raise money for Alzheimer's Association by participating in the annual Memory Walk.
- Public Policy Alumna Earns Prestigious Fellowship to University of Melbourne
Mandira Kala, PhD, has been selected for the Emerging Leaders Fellowship from the Australia India Institute
- Youth Development Today: The Role of Mentors, Empowerment, and Being Active
Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy presents its Fall Women's Research Forum
- Victoria Reggie Kennedy Speaks on Influencing Public Policy: The Role of Midlife and Older Women
Guest lecture at the JFK Library sponsored by McCormack Graduate School's Gerontology Institute and the Eastern Massachusetts Chapter of OWL (Older Women's League).
- Roundtable Discussion with Environmental Protection Directors from Yunnan, China
The International Fund for China's Environment hosted a delegation of environmental directors from the Yunnan province in China.
- Ambassador Lumumba Di-Aping Speaks at UMass Boston in Inaugural Center Event
Maria Ivanova and Craig Murphy, co-directors of the new Center for Governance and Sustainability, hosted the center’s inaugural lecture on March 18, 2011.
- International Conference at UMass Boston Spotlights New Paradigm in Preparedness
UMass Boston sponsored an international conference on Rebuilding Sustainable Communities with the Elderly and Disabled People after Disasters in July.