- UMass Boston Faculty, Students, and Alumni Form Veterans’ Court Consortium
McCormack team joins local advocates to seek state funds to study alternative justice program for veterans.
- Diversity in Higher Education: UMass Boston’s Commonwealth Compact, Part of the Solution
McCormack Grad School and Lesley College host inaugural Diversity Best Practices Conference for Massachusetts colleges and universities.
- Commonwealth Compact’s 5th Anniversary Celebration: State of Workforce Diversity and Inclusion
From the Pipeline to the Board Room: Join us for a panel discussion, an address by Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, and the release of Commonwealth Compact's Benchmarks Report.
- Gerontology Student Wins Top Prize at AGHE Meeting
UMass Boston Gerontology PhD student Kristen Porter won the top prize at the Association for Gerontology in Higher Education annual conference.
- White House Expert to Speak on Delivering Effective, Accountable, Trusted Government
McCormack Grad School hosts lecture by top experts on performance management. Also streamed live beginning at 5:30 p.m.
- Launch of the New Online New England Journal of Public Policy
Originally launched in 1985, today the New England Journal of Public Policy is published as an open source, online publication.
- Conflict Resolution Student Appointed to Key Public Affairs Job in Puerto Rico
Ricardo Ramos puts his conflict resolution graduate studies to work in San Juan's mayor's office.
- MGS Professor Michael Johnson Earns Grant to Improve Neglected Baltimore Properties
Decision modelling in urban redevelopment has the potential to improve social, economic, and public health indicators.
- Women and Hunger: Putting Food on the Table
Center for Women in Politics and Center for Social Policy support event at Simmons College featuring Professor Randy Albelda as guest speaker.
- Beyond the ‘Busy Ethic’: The Meaning and Measurement of Engagement in Later Life
Please join us for this gerontology guest lecture by Jacquelyn James from Boston College's Sloan Center on Aging and Work.
- Bridging the Gap between the Researcher and Public Policy Maker
Please join us as gerontology alumnus Jay Bulot, PhD presents this guest lecture at the McCormnack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies.
- Financial Well-Being across the Cancer Continuum
Join Harvard's Tucker-Seeley for this Gerontology Speaker series event.
- Promoting Peace: A Q&A Session with Forum for Cities in Transition Staff Members
Learn more about the forum's creation, history, successes and challenges, and highlights of the recent FCT event in Kirkuk, Iraq.
- UN Environmental Report for Youth Launched with Input from UMass Boston Students
McCormack Graduate School students contribute to new United Nations publication on the global environment.
- Awotona Speaks at the National Conference on Science, Policy and the Environment
CRSCAD Director Adenrele Awotona lectures on disaster planning for urban slums at recent DC conference.
- Thanks to Collins Center, Massachusetts Government Leads the Nation in Performance Management
Governor Patrick relies on Collins Center for Public Management expertise for more efficient and effective government decision-making.
- Connie Chan Shares Winning Strategies with Athletes On-Campus and Across the Globe
MGS Associate Dean has a "second life" as a sports psychologist motivating athletes and coaches.
- UMass Boston Faculty-student Delegation Participates in Historic UN Meeting in Nairobi
Center for Governance and Sustainability team is the only major research university with students in their delegation.
- OLLI Provides Life-Enrichment Opportunities for Older Adults
The spring 2013 catalog offers members a wide choice of courses, trips, video conferences, and much more.
- Commonwealth Compact Higher Education Diversity Best Practices Conference
Join us at Lesley College for this inaugural conference of our Higher Education Collaborative.
- MSPA Alumnus Appointed Suffolk County Sheriff
Steve Tompkins, a 2011 public affairs graduate, takes the helm of the state's largest sheriff's office.
- Center for Governance and Sustainability Team Publishes Groundbreaking Research
Professor of Biology Kamaljit Bawa and Research Associate Uttam Shrestha share cutting-edge findings on Nepalese fungus.
- CSP Offers New Internship for Research and Evaluation on Eradication of Poverty
Center for Social Policy launches Elaine Werby Public Service Internship for UMass Boston student interested in poverty reduction.
- Commonwealth Compacts Sponsors Black Empowerment Breakfast
Cassius Cash tells the audience, "... if you want something you’ve never had, do something you’ve never done."
- “Breaking the Silence of Extreme Poverty” Conference
Join us for this event cosponsored by the McCormack Graduate School's Center for Social Policy, the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, and Office of Student Leadership and Community Engagement.
- Public Policy Research Seminar on Microfinance and Poverty Alleviation
PhD student Ghazal Zulfiqar will discuss whether institutional form matters in microfinance and poverty reduction.
- Conflict Resolution Student Attends Fulbright Conference on Afghan Social Entrepreneurship
Fulbright student Nasir Gord attended recent conference at Miami University.
- UMass Boston Alumna Named as Gerontological Society Fellow
McCormack Graduate School alumna Kristen Corazzini, PhD is honored for her contributions to the field of gerontology.
- MGS Alumni Start Nonprofit to Train Youth Farmers in Ethiopia
Alumni from public affairs and international relations establish innovative educational program for disconnected youth.
- MGS Center for Governance and Sustainability Hosts Ethiopian Delegation
UMass Boston and Addis Ababa University commit to long-term partnership.
- Conflict Resolution Master’s Projects Student Presentations
Students in the Conflict Resolution MA Program present their final projects at our final Spring 2013 Colloquium.
- Ultimate Peace: Using the Sport of Ultimate Frisbee to Unite Communities Divided by Conflict
Dr. David Barkan, PhD, Founder and CEO of Ultimate Peace, will speak at our second colloquium on his 30 year career dedicated to social change.
- Issues in Family Mediation: a talk by Jane Honoroff
Jane Honoroff, specialist in family mediation, opens the 2013 Conflict Resolution Colloquium Series
- International Relations MSPA Student Capstone Presentations
Students present their final research projects in international relations
- Matz Shares Expertise on Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Resolution at Local Synagogue
MGS professor engages local Jewish community on peace process in Israel.
- MSPA Capstone Presentations
McCormack Grad students present their final research projects in public affairs.
- Many Elders Cannot Meet Housing and Health Care Needs with Social Security Benefits Alone
Gerontology Institute develops new tool to measure income adequacy and issues National Elder Economic Security Report.
- Women in Politics and Public Policy Graduation Celebration
We will honor our PWPPP students who have completed the graduate certificate program at the John W. McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies.
- Black History Empowerment Recognition Breakfast
Commonwealth Compact co-hosts Black History Month event with Cassius Cash as keynote speaker
- Final Case Study Presentations by Women in Politics and Public Policy Students
Candidates for the Graduate Certificate in WPPP present their case study research and analyses.
- Final Case Study Presentations by Women in Politics and Public Policy Students
Candidates for the Graduate Certificate in WPPP present their case study research and analyses.
- UMass Boston Seeks Director for Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy
MGS seeks collaborative leader to advance research and training programs for women in politics.
- McCormack Graduate School College Connections: Town Meeting and Spring Reception
Hear Ira Jackson’s state of the college address, participate in a town meeting, and socialize with the MGS community.
- Collins Center Hosts MassResults Second Annual Performance Management Conference
McCormack Grad School's Collins Center for Public Management conference focuses on building a results-oriented government.
- Research Team Looks at Group Acknowledgement of Past Violence as Key to Breaking Cycles of Violence
MGS Assistant Professor Rezarta Bilali receives two grants to develop and test strategies to understand mass violence
- Awotona’s Book on Post-Disaster Reconstruction Chosen as Critics’ Choice Book of the Month
CRSCAD director's edited collection receives accolades
- Mark Warren’s Community Organizing and Education Research Featured at Research Luncheon
MGS faculty member highlights his work with Urban Research-Based Action Network (URBAN)
- UMass Boston Receives $1 Million Grant from Osher Foundation
The University of Massachusetts Boston has received a second $1 million gift from the Bernard Osher Foundation to continue funding of the university’s Osher Lifelong Learning Institute.
- McCormack Graduate School Well Represented at National Gerontology Conference
Faculty and PhD students present more than 20 papers and posters at annual scientific conference.
- Different Paths to Politics: Women and Political Leadership in Massachusetts
CWPPP hosted a panel discussion with Jennifer Benson, Denise Garlick, and Sheneal Parker.
- CSP Study Suggests Employers Find Distinct Value in Meeting Labor Needs through Alternative Staffing
Center for Social Policy issues final report on Alternate Staffing Demonstration Project
- Commonwealth Compact Expands with New Signers and Board Members
McCormack Grad School diversity project is growing
- Public Policy Dissertation Proposal Defense on Gentrification in Jamaica Plain
Jennifer Douglas will present her research proposal on real estate actors and policies in this Boston neighborhood.
- MGS Poverty Policy Experts to Speak at Carter Center on Post-Katrina Disaster Relief Issues
Friedman and Tripp will deliver keynote address on constituent involvement at "Not Meant to Live Like This" conference
- MGS Nigerian Expert Shares Insights with California High School Students Via Skype
Associate Professor Darren Kew shares expertise on conflict resolution and promoting democracy in Africa.
- MGS Staffers Celebrate Years of Service at UMass Boston
Four McCormack Grad School employees were recently honored for 10-30 years of service
- Gerontology Professor Edits Book Assessing Affordable Care Act
Edward MIller's book reviews ACA's potential efficacy and impact on the aging population in US.
- Belle Abaya—Mother, Teacher, Hero (1952-2012)
Phillipinne national hero and Conflict Resolution Program alumna dies of cancer.
- McCormack Grad School Strengthens Ties With Ethiopia
Center for Governance and Sustainability enters long-term partnership with Adaba University
- Gerontology Institute to House Center for Social and Demographic Research on Aging
MGS opens new center to expand demographic and applied research capacity on aging issues.
- Gerontology Institute Conducts Needs Assessments in Two Local Communities
MGS faculty and student researchers evaluate aging-related needs in Hingham and Cohasset.
- UMass Boston Hosts International Conference on Rebuilding China, Japan after Disasters
Learn best practices in reducing the socio-economic impact of disasters on vulnerable communities in China
- New England StatNet Holds Fall Meeting on Police, Begins Plans for Winter Meeting on Public Works
MGS' Collins Center for Public Management facilitates workshops on more effective government performance
- Massachusetts Educational Partnership Established Within the Collins Center
MGS center helps establish labor and management collaboration to enhance education in the Commonwealth
- Public Service Internship Named in Honor of Elaine Werby
Center for Social Policy honors colleague for untiring commitment to mentor students
- MGS Conference Provides Engaging Conversations on Public Administration Challenges
Northeast Conference on Public Administration event held at UMass Boston
- Women Could Gain Seats in Massachusetts Legislature in General Election
Center for Women in Politcs notes the potential for historic high in women's political participation
- MGS Recruitment Luncheon at Massachusetts State House
Learn more about our graduate programs in policy and global studies at this free luncheon recruitment event.
- Late-Breaking Aging Research
Sigma Phi Omega, the national honor society in gerontology, hosts this brown bag event at McCormack Grad School.
- MGS PhD Student Edits New Book on Conflict and Peace in Eurasia
Debidatta Aurobinda Mahapatra, Global Governance and Human Security doctoral program student, is editor of a new book focusing on Eurasian conflicts.
- Scholar and Political Pundit Linda Killian Addresses Role of Independent Voters
DC journalist dialogues with grad students at Leading Women speakers series on women's public leadership
- Graduate Students with “Soft Hearts and Hard Heads” Converge for Conflict Studies Conference
This conference hosted by UMass Boston's Conflict Resolution Graduate Program brought together graduate students from a variety of fields to present their work and share ideas.
- An Evening with Ambassador Madeleine Kunin: The New Feminist Agenda
Join us for this event sponsored by the Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy.
- Miss Representation to Mass Representation: Educating for Change
Join us for a film screening and discussion sponsored by Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy.
- Women Candidates for Municipal Elected Office: Decisions, Resources, and Structures
Join us! Event sponsored by the Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy as part of its Leading Women speaker series.
- Women’s Political Leadership in Massachusetts
The Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy hosts a panel discussion as part of its Leading Women speaker series.
- Center for Social Policy Celebrates Anniversary Honoring Leaders for Economic and Social Justice
UMass Boston social policy think tank celebrates twenty years of poverty policy research and evaluation
- Commissioned Research Informs Eos Foundation’s Forthcoming Anti-hunger Initiative
MGS Center for Social Policy researches participation in breakfast and school lunch in Massachusetts.
- Center for Social Policy Honors Julia Tripp: From Homeless to Poverty Policy Advisor
Constituent Advisory Group Coordinator helps give voice to those living in poverty and recognizes its transformative power.
- At MGS Event, Rep. Wolf Tells Women: “You Have the Numbers to Make a Difference in Politics”
Alice Woolf shared her perspectives at recent Center for Women in Politics and Gerontology Institute sponsored event.
- Africa’s New Revolution: A Conversation with Gebreselaisse Yosief Tesfamichael
Listen to the former finance minister of Eritrea and former governor of the World Bank talk about the turmoil in Africa
- The Swing Vote: The Power of Independent Voters in 2012
Sponsored by the Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy, DC journalist Linda Killian leads a timely discussion on the untapped power of independents in the upcoming election.
- Gerontology Institute Leading Healthy Aging Research in Massachusetts for the Tufts Health Plan
Associate Professor Elizabeth Dugan leads new grant project at McCormack Graduate School
- Women: Your Power, Your Issues, Your Election
Representative Alice K. Wolf is featured speaker at event co-sponsored by Gerontology Institute
- MGS Graduate Seminar on Globalization and Development Broadcast to Liberians
International relations students "gain invaluable insight from .. Liberian counterparts"
- Commonwealth Compact Celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month
Georgianna Meléndez will join Josiane Martinez from Office of Refugees and Immigrants for guest lecture
- Commonwealth Diversity Fellows Program Seeking Applicants
The Commonwealth Diversity Fellows Program provides individuals with a a firsthand, high-level internship experience with the workings of state government.
- UMass Boston Hosts Peace Delegates from Divided Cities in Kirkuk, Iraq
McCormack Grad School's Peacebroker Padraig O'Malley hosts 2012 Forum for Cities in Transition in Iraq
- StatNet Meeting on Performance Management of Municipal Police Departments
Collins Centers leads municipal employees to use data to drive better decisions on police overtime, scheduling, crime analysis, and more.
- Craig Murphy Recognized as Top International Studies Scholar
McCormack Grad School's research professor earns distinguished senior scholar award
- Employment Outcomes, Impacts of Alternative Staffing Programs Detailed in New CSP Research
Center for Social Policy assesses employment outcomes for participants of four Alternative Staffing Organizations
- Walking the Talk: Leading Your Organization to Embrace Change
Join us for this September 21 Commonwealth Compact lecture and lunch event at Lesley University
- For Professor Emeritus Frank Caro, Retirement Includes More Time for Research and Community Service
Although he retired four years ago, rest and relaxation often take a back seat to more research and service activities.
- Sandwiched Between Aging Parents and Boomerang Kids in Two Cohorts of American Women
Please join us for this Gerontology Institute guest lecture on December 3 at 1 p.m.
- How Poor Financial Risk Management Destroyed Older Households’ Wealth & What Policy Can Do About It
Join Professor Christian Weller for this Gerontology Institute colloquium on November 5 at 1 p.m.
- Future Directions in Preventing Late-Life Disability
Please join us for this Gerontology Institute guest lecture on September 17 at 1 PM
- New Research Observes Trends in Hour Levels for Retail Workers in North America
New Center for Social Policy Study: Variable and part-time work hours mean low job quality for U.S retail workers
- New Global Governance and Human Security PhD Program to Commence this Fall
McCormack Graduate School welcomes an impressive inaugural cohort of doctoral students studying global governance and human security
- MGS Faculty, Students, and Alums Provide Stimulating Lifelong Learning for OLLI Members
Members of the McCormack Graduate School community offer a wide array of courses this fall
- Roni Lipton Wins Staff Mentoring Award
MGS professional staff member recognized for her tireless dedication to her graduate students.