Questions & Answers

What is the College of Advancing and Professional Studies?

The College of Advancing and Professional Studies (CAPS) is one of nine colleges and schools that make up the University of Massachusetts Boston. The others are the College of Education and Human Development (CEHD), College of Liberal Arts (CLA), College of Management (CM), College of Nursing and Health Sciences (CNHS), College of Public and Community Service (CPCS), College of Science and Mathematics (CSM), the John W. McCormack Graduate School of Policy Studies (MGS), and the School for Global Inclusion and Social Development (SGISD). The College of Advancing and Professional Studies will continue and extend the mission of its predecessors, the Division of Corporate, Continuing and Distance Education (CCDE), and, most recently, University College (UC).

Is CAPS part of UC, or is UC part of CAPS?

Neither. CAPS replaces UC (and CCDE) and expands on it. All of the programs and courses previously offered by or through UC (and CCDE) will continue to be offered by or through the College of Advancing and Professional Studies, but the College of Advancing and Professional Studies will also be developing new programs. Specifically, becoming a college will allow us to develop academic degree and certificate programs of our own.

What kinds of new programs will you offer?

These programs will be targeted to adult professionals seeking the knowledge and credentials they need for career advancement and career change, with a particular focus on areas of growing economic and social importance to Massachusetts, the U.S., and the world.

Will your current collaborations with the university’s other colleges continue?

Yes! In fact, they will continue to grow. We are currently collaborating with all eight of the other UMass Boston colleges and schools on various degree and certificate programs, and more such programs will be developed in the coming years as new needs and opportunities are identified. Also, through its Office of Continuing Education, the College of Advancing and Proefssional Studies will continue to offer undergraduate and graduate courses from the other UMass Boston colleges off-campus, on weekends, during the summer and winter sessions, and online.

How do I register for College of Advancing and Professional Studies courses?

Registration for CAPS courses can be done in either of two ways. If you are a matriculated UMass Boston student or have taken courses here before, you should register through the WISER online registration system, logging on with your WISER ID. If you are a non-matriculated student who has never taken a course here before, you can use our online shopping cart—you’ll see a link to the shopping cart next to each course’s schedule listing on our pages.

More Information

Contact CAPS