Vocational-Technical Instructor Licensure Sequence
The Center offers the following sequence of undergraduate competency-based courses to satisfy the 21-credit requirement of the Massachusetts Department of Education for vocational instructor licensure. These courses focus on how to:
- design and deliver appropriate lesson plans;
- effectively communicate with a wide range of students in terms of age, developmental stage, social, and cultural backgrounds;
- and elicit, evaluate, and use classroom feedback.
Upon passing the written practical examinations in his or her trade area, an individual is awarded a preliminary license and may be employed for five years as an instructor in a Massachusetts vocational-technical school. Note: A literacy test is required for individuals who seek a vocational-technical license.
To move from a preliminary license to a permanent license, instructors must have:
- Completed a one-year induction program.
- Worked for three years as a teacher under a preliminary license.
- Must have completed college courses as required.
Additional DOE licensure guidelines are available online at: www.doe.mass.edu/educators/e_license.html?section=voc.