Applicants should indicate in their 500 word statement of interests and intent that they are applying to the Clinical Nurse Specialist Post Master’s Certificate program of study. Only Master’s prepared nurses with preparation as clinical nurse specialist in their MS program can be considered for acceptance into the 12-credit option. A personal telephone interview may be required. The UMass Boston Graduate Admissions Director will inform applicants of their admission to the program. Following admission, students should contact the Nursing program assistant by email: Jeffrey.Taylor@umb.edu
In addition to the general admission requirements for all graduate studies programs listed in the "Admissions" section of the Graduate Admission Application, prospective students applying to the post master’s CNS certificate program must meet the following requirements:
- A master’s degree in nursing from an NLNAC or CCNE approved graduate program in nursing.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average in undergraduate work of 2.75.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average in graduate work of 3.0.
- A GPA of B 3.0 in undergraduate and or graduate level science courses.
- Evidence of passing grades of B or better in graduate level courses in Advanced Pharmacology (within 5 years), Advanced Health Assessment, and Advanced Health Assessment within the past 7 years.
- Evidence of B or better in Role of the Advanced Practice Nurse or evidence of integration within the prior master’s in nursing program.
- CNS Post-Master's students must be licensed in the State of Massachusetts and be able to attend classes on campus rather than online.
- References: Two professional references describing your clinical practice skills, ethics, and reliability for the most recent two years of your clinical practice experience; one academic reference describing your academic performance, and reliability as a student.
- Written essay of 500 words describing the nature of your professional goals and time frame for the completing the program of study; evidence supporting the nature of the clinical placement commitments (necessary to fulfill the clinical objectives of the specialty certificate desired).
- Current professional resume indicating all higher education institutions attended and professional work experience in the adult population focus.
- Applicants are not required to submit Graduate Record Examination Scores.
Applications may also be obtained from:
Graduate Admissions Office
University of Massachusetts Boston
100 Morrissey Boulevard
Boston, MA 02125-3393