Emergency and Disaster Management Certificate
- Please note: The Emergency and Disaster Management Certificate is not currently admitting new students. Courses that were formerly offered in the certificate program may still be available for registration.
This innovative certificate program will augment your knowledge of emergency management practices in the United States with an understanding of contemporaneous disaster situations globally, as well as how to prepare and respond to them. It should prepare you for a career in relevant disaster relief agencies, government agencies, nonprofit and for-profit organizations, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), multilateral agencies, and other similar bodies. As natural and human-made disasters escalate worldwide, there is an increasing need for professionals who have the requisite skills in community-based disaster risk management and disaster resilience.
This certificate requires successful completion of the Professional Development Series (PDS) offered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) through its Independent Study program, and 3 elective courses offered by the University of Massachusetts Boston.
Upon successful completion of each University of Massachusetts Boston course, you will receive 3.5 CEUs (Continuing Education Units) for a total of 10.5 CEUs. For the number of CEUs awarded for the FEMA Professional Development Series, visit https://training.fema.gov/is/ceus.aspx.
Successful completion of the Professional Development Series (PDS) offered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA): https://training.fema.gov/is/searchis.aspx?search=PDS. These courses provide a well-rounded set of fundamentals for those interested in the emergency management profession.
You may choose 3 of the following electives:
- PRFTRN102 Reconstruction after the Cameras Have Gone: Principles and Best Practices
- PRFTRN104 Human Dignity, Human Rights, and Sustainable Post-Disaster Reconstruction
- PRFTRN174 Community Disaster Resilience
- PRFTRN175 Migrants and Refugees (summer only)
- PRFTRN149 GIS in Emergency and Disaster Management
- PRFTRN173 Disasters and Public Health
Fall 2017 - Offered online
|PRFTRN102||Sep 11 - Dec 8||$750||1586||Cancelled|
|PRFTRN104||Sep 11 - Dec 8||$750||1588||Closed|
|PRFTRN149||Sep 11 - Dec 8||$750||1593||Cancelled|
|PRFTRN173||Sep 11 - Dec 8||$750||1594||Cancelled|
|PRFTRN174||Sep 11 - Dec 8||$750||1595||Cancelled|
Registration is currently not available.
Request More Information
For more information about the program, please contact:
Program Director and Academic Advisor