Human Resource Management Certificate
The Human Resource function plays an essential and strategic role in today’s organizations. The success of your organization depends largely on the accomplishments of all your employees and their commitment to your goals.
The non-credit Certificate Program in Human Resource Management is a two-semester (fall and spring) program that provides an overview of the Human Resource function. New students cannot start in the spring and must wait to register for the start of the program in the fall. The topics in this program will enable you to address the issues that a human resource professional encounters in both small and large organizations.
This non-credit program is recommended for general managers and supervisors, new human resource professionals, and those interested in developing practical skills in human resource management.
The certificate program offers modules that focus on skills set by professional associations as core requirements for human resource professionals:
- Management practices
- General employment practices
- Legal and regulatory environment issues
- Compensation with benefits
- Human resource development, performance, and employee relations
- Labor relations
- Health and safety considerations
- Strategic human resource management
You will learn how to handle:
- Interviews, recruiting, salary surveys, and compensation
- Employee benefits and affirmative action
- Performance reviews, job evaluations, and performance management
- Labor relations and the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Legal issues associated with human resource management
- Employee relations and grievances
- Relationships between human resource and line management
You will also learn about current trends and issues that affect human resource management.
When you successfully complete this course, you will receive 7.2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
Fall 2016-Spring 2017
UMass Boston Campus
Semester I: Sep 14 - Dec 14, 2016
Semester II: Feb 1 - Apr 26, 2017
Room: University Hall, 2nd floor, Room 2330
Class #1411 (Fall 2016)
Class #1020 (Spring 2017)
Fee: $2,400 (includes both semesters)
This program is offered at the UMass Boston campus and can be offered on-site at your company’s location.
You can also work with UMass Boston to create customized classes that meet the specific needs of your organization, regardless of the size of your company.
- Human Resource Management - 13th edition published 12/29/11, Gary Dessler, Florida International University; publisher: Prentice Hall.
Arthur Bowes is the Senior Vice President of Human Resources for the North Shore Medical Center, a member of the Partners HealthCare System. Mr. Bowes has over 30 years of experience in senior HR leadership roles with both leading health care and hi-technology organizations. Mr. Bowes also has over 25 years of graduate and undergraduate level teaching experience with 15 years at the University of Massachusetts Boston in both the School of Management and the College of Advancing and Professional Studies. Mr. Bowes is an active member of the HR Certification Institute (HRCI) where he participated as a member of the PHR and SPHR exam writing committee; the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM); The American Society of Health Care Human Resources Association (ASHHRA) and the New England Human Resources Association (NEHRA).
Mr. Bowes has a BS from the University of Massachusetts Boston; an EMBA from Suffolk University and a CAGS from Northeastern University. Mr. Bowes also holds the SPHR designation from the HR Certification Institute.