Graduate Nursing - How to Register
Non-matriculated students please follow the directions below if interested in taking any online courses. If you are a returning non-matriculated student, you still need to fill out and email the registration form. Please be sure to include your UMass Boston student identification number on the form. If you are new to UMass Boston, you will not have a student ID number but will receive one with initial registration.
Our courses are in great demand, and we will accommodate those who follow the instructions. However, we will not notify those who submit applications incorrectly, so please pay attention to detail, as we hope you will do in all courses.
We are obligated to our matriculated students to place them in courses that they need for completion of the program curriculum. Once that process is complete, we will know what space is available for non-matriculated students. If you have completed your application correctly, it will be placed in the order in which it was received. If you submit it, then you will be notified when it is processed or if there is no room in the course. Thank you in advance for your patience.
To register for course(s) as a non-matriculated, non-accepted student:
Download the graduate nursing registration form, fill out, and email* to Postmasternp@umb.edu, along with the following (send all items as 1 complete packet/email, or your request will not be processed):
- A copy of your current nursing license
- A copy of your government issued photo ID
- An unofficial transcript from the institution which awarded your BSN and/or MSN
You do not need permission of the program director or department consent before you submit all of these required materials. Permission will be granted as space is available.
When we receive all four pieces of information, we will review your materials and submit your registration. When/if you are successfully registered, you will receive an email confirmation of your course(s) enrollment and UMass Boston student email account information from the Registrar’s office, so be sure to include your current email address on the registration form. A future email will be sent regarding Blackboard Learn, https://umb.umassonline.net/, for those of you who are new to the online learning management system (LMS). This email will be sent approximately one (1) week before classes begin, and will be sent to your UMass Boston student email account.
* You may also drop off or mail your materials to the College of Nursing & Health Sciences (Science Building, 2nd floor, room 13):
UMass Boston - CNHS
100 Morrissey Blvd.
Boston, MA 02125
NOTE: NURSNG 616, 618, 639, 671, 672, 680, 681, 682, and 765 are not open to non-matriculated students except with special permission of the program director. To register for NURSNG 634 or 615, you must meet course prerequisites and your unofficial transcript must show proof of successful completion of an Advanced Pathophysiology course.
If you live in the state of Massachusetts, you will need to complete background checks and proof of immunizations prior to beginning any clinical hours. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding clinical clearance.
Students who will be registering for the clinical course NURSNG 615:
- Students cannot complete clinical hours in all US states. For questions regarding eligibility in your state of residence, please contact the Post-Master's Certificate Program in the College of Nursing at 617.287.7285.
- Your transcript must demonstrate a completion of graduate level Advanced Pathophysiology with a grade of B or better.
- You must be successfully registered in order for our office to send out working agreements to the agency in which you plan to do your clinical.
- You must conduct a clinical placement with an MD or NP preceptor who will supervise you in developing your skills for 65 hours during the semester.
- You must have the legal document, known as a Working Agreement, secured between UMass Boston and the clinical site before the clinical hours begin.
Once you receive official notice of being registered for NURSNG 615 Advanced Health Assessment, which requires 65 hours of clinical supervision, please contact email@example.com to request the online form to submit a potential clinical site.
Once your form has been submitted for your clinical site, a Working Agreement will be mailed out to the agency to sign. You cannot start your clinical experience until our office has given you clearance.
Please note that we will accept registration forms only until the courses are filled. We are unable to accommodate waiting lists.