A student who drops a credit course will be granted a refund according to the dates listed in the Academic Calendar. Non-attendance does not constitute dropping a course. Students dropping a course may either file an Add/Drop Form at the One Stop or drop the course online at wiser.umb.edu.
NOTE: International and field study programs have a different refund policy. For details, call 617.287.7900.
Regularly scheduled non-credit programs
Refunds will be granted on the following basis to students withdrawing from programs which meet on a regular (in-person) schedule:
- Withdrawn on or before second class meeting date: 100% refund
- Withdrawn on or before third class meeting date: 50% refund
- No refunds will be granted after the third class meeting date.
- In the case of programs that have 5 or fewer class meetings, a 100% refund will be granted for withdrawal before the first class meeting. There will be no refunds after the first class meeting.
Online and ‘By Arrangement’ non-credit programs
Refunds will be granted on the following basis to students withdrawing from programs designated as online or ‘By Arrangement’:
- Withdrawn on or before 7 days after the start of class: 100% refund
- Withdrawn on or before 14 days after the start of class: 50% refund
- No refunds will be granted after the 14th day.
- In the case of programs that meet for less than 2 weeks, a 100% refund will be granted for withdrawal before the first class meeting. There will be no refunds after the first class meeting.
The amount of a refund is computed on the basis of the date the refund request is received by the One Stop (if the request is mailed, the refund is computed from the postmark date).
If a student has made a payment by credit card through SallieMae®, the refund will be returned as a credit to the cardholder’s account. Lab fees are not refundable after the first lab meeting.
The College of Advancing and Professional Studies no longer mails refund checks to students. The Bursar’s office sends an email to the student’s UMass Boston account, informing them that their check is available for pickup. Students have the option of requesting that their check be mailed; this request must be made in writing to the Bursar.
Note: If your University account has a balance, your refund will be applied to this balance until it is paid in full.