About the College
UMass Boston College of Education and Human Development
August 25, 2008
The College of Education and Human Development (CEHD) generates knowledge, fosters engaged learning, promotes social justice, and empowers students, educators, other professionals, and community members through teaching, research, evaluation, and public service. The urban setting of the University of Massachusetts Boston informs – and is informed by – CEHD efforts to fulfill the academic and civic purposes of education in a diverse democracy.
This mission statement as associated core values serve as a philosophical and operational guide for all activities of the College of Education and Human Development. Core values include:
- Academic excellence applies theory and evidence-based practice to produce effective and sustainable learning and development outcomes;
- Social justice and inclusion involves equality of access and success for all students, especially those who historically have had limited educational opportunity because of education level, national origin, socio-economic status, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, or race, ethnic, linguistic, or cultural background;
- Community engagement integrates academic knowledge with community-based knowledge to address public and policy issues, improve quality of life, and support a just and inclusive democracy.
The mission of the College of Education and Human Development is accomplished in collaboration with students, professionals, and other stakeholders through:
- offering learning environments that prepare students, educators, and other professionals to assume leadership roles in the design, development, and implementation of teaching and learning experiences that are consistent with our values;
- conducting research directed at improving educational policy and practice in school, higher education, and community settings to improve the quality of life for all individuals;
- disseminating materials and information to increase knowledge, improve practice, and facilitate the learning and development of all individuals in school, higher education, and community settings;
- offering technical assistance to enhance learning and skill development in community settings including schools, colleges and universities, and community-based organizations and programs at local, state, national and international levels.
Did you know?
More travel information