Mental Health, Family Therapy, and School Counseling Admissions

3 Counseling and School Psychology students, one male and two females, are talking while sitting around a table.

Please use this page if you are applying to the on campus or online programs in mental health (MS), family therapy (MS), and school counseling (MEd).

All school psychology and PhD applicants must review their respective admissions pages before applying.   

The minimum requirements to apply are:

  1. At least five undergraduate social science courses (psychology, sociology, anthropology etc).
  2. At least one year of human services experience which can include volunteer or research experience. 
  3. A distinguished undergraduate transcript with at least a 3.0 GPA. If your GPA is less than 3.0, please discuss the reasons in your personal statement.

If you are applying to the on campus or online programs, please send the following information to the office of graduate admissions by January 2 (their address is listed at the bottom of this page):

  1. A completed application and fee. Click here for an application.
  2. Three letters of recommendation where at least one letter should be from a person who knows your academic work. We strongly recommend getting letters from professors whenever possible.   
  3. Statement of Purpose for all school counseling applications: A statement of purpose detailing your goals, professional experience, and reasons for applying to the program. Your essay should consist of your reasons for wishing to pursue graduate study in 300 words (part 1). Then, indicate your specific interests and discuss the kind of work you would like to do in your intended field in no more than 1200 words (part 2).       
  4. Statement of Purpose for all mental health applications: A statement of purpose detailing your professional experience, goals, and reasons for applying to the program. Please also indicate your specific interests and discuss the kind of work you would like to do in no more than 700 words total.
  5. Official undergraduate and graduate official transcripts from all the universities you attended. All transcripts must be official and sealed. 
  6. We require the general Graduate Record Examination (GRE) test from all applicants unless they meet the exemption rule indicated. We do not accept the MATs and the Psychology GRE test is not required.  If you're applying to the mental health program, and possess a master's degree in a related field (psychology, social work, sociology) then we will waive the GREs. However, the School Counseling, School Psychology, and Family Therapy programs will waive the GREs if you have any master's degree.  If you are unsure if you qualify for the GRE waiver please email Dan Torres
  7. All school counseling applicants who want licensure in the state of Massachusetts must complete the MTEL test (Communication & Literacy Skills---reading and writing) by the application deadline or any time before the end of their first year at UMass Boston. If you reside in another state, please confirm with your respective state's licensing board. The school counseling professors will conduct on campus and online interviews with prospective students.
  8. Please include an updated résumé.

Please note: Students may apply even if they do not meet the aforementioned requirements, however, their chances of admissions is diminished.  We count volunteer, research, and internship experience in our human service requirement. Also, we do not have a minimum GRE score, nevertheless, if your Verbal or Writing GRE score is very low then it may be prudent to send a sample of a graded paper. 

For online applicants only: If you are applying to the online version of the program, please be aware that your start term should be summer (e.g. summer 2015). If you put start term fall (e.g. fall 2015), you will be taking summer courses as a non-degree student which means you will not be eligible for financial aid until the fall semester. The starting term and program cannot be changed once the application has been submitted. Thank you.

All application materials must be sent to UMass Boston's Office of Graduate Admissions at:

The Office of Graduate Admissions at UMass Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd.
Boston, MA. 02125-3393

Still have questions? Please email Dan

Mental Health FAQ

Read More 

Family Therapy FAQ

Read More 

School Counseling FAQ

Read More 

Why UMass Boston?

Rendering of General Academic Building No. 1

General Academic Building No. 1

The building will contain state-of-the-art classrooms, teaching labs, and specialized spaces for the Art and Performing Arts Departments

“This general academic building will help further enhance the learning experience of our students.”

Read More ›