Non-Matriculated Registration Information
Thank you for your interest in taking courses as a non-matriculated student at the University of Massachusetts Boston in the Department of Counseling and School Psychology. Please follow the steps below. Completion of a course as a non-degree student does not guarantee admissions to our programs.
- Please obtain permission from the graduate program director that the course is being taught under (please email Sharon Lamb for mental health courses and Laura Hayden for all school counseling courses). If you're unsure of who's the program director, please email both directors (all emails is firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If the program director approves your enrollment, please attempt to create a UMass Boston ID . Please contact the Registrar's Office if you need help in creating an ID.
- Once you have permission and a UMass Boston ID, email that information to Jennifer Wood for registration.
For students taking non-degree courses prior to applying to a degree program at UMass Boston, please note these two very important stipulations:
- a. Only two (2) courses taken at UMass Boston may be transferred into a degree program.
- b. A grade of B or higher is necessary in order to transfer each course into a degree program at the university. A grade of B- is not acceptable for transfer into a degree program at UMass Boston.
- c. The list of stipulations can be found here
Our courses meet in the late afternoon/evening. On-campus courses run for 2.75 hours, with start times either at 4pm or 7pm. Online courses have a mandatory chat session each week and students must be at a computer with Internet connection, as well as with a headset/microphone, in order to participate. The chat session times are determined prior to the registration period and all times are Eastern Standard Time (EST). Attendance is mandatory at all class meetings, whether on-campus or online, in order to pass the course.
Online courses- We offer a limited number of online courses each semester. Priority for these sections is granted in the following order: i. Matriculated students in one of our online Masters degree cohorts ii. Matriculated students in one of our on-campus Masters degree programs iii. Non-matriculated students.