How long does it take to complete the program?

Students normally complete the program in three years. During the first two years of the program, students take the theory-based family therapy and counseling courses, and in the third year students complete the internship. Students can complete the program part-time and would typically complete the degree in 4 years.

What time of the day are classes held?

Classes meet once/week during the fall and spring semesters and are held at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m.

How do I get licensed as a marriage and family therapist?

Our program prepares you to meet the educational requirements for Massachusetts licensure as a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT). Upon completion of the 60-credit master’s degree program (or CAGS degree), you are eligible to take the licensure exam. In addition, Massachusetts requires students to complete about two years of post-graduate hours (3,360 hours) employed as a family therapist under supervision.

Can I get licensed in another state as a family therapist?

Typically, your state’s licensing board posts licensure requirements online. You can compare those requirements with our program requirements. Because our university is regionally accredited by NEASC (New England Association of Schools and Colleges). If you intend to obtain licensure outside Massachusetts, consult with your advisor about what educational requirements you may need to complete (i.e., internship hours).

In what type of settings do family therapists work in?

Family therapists work in a variety of settings, including community-based outpatient agencies, residential treatment facilities, schools, hospitals, private practice, etc. You can read more about the profession through reviewing the national organization for family therapists, called AAMFT (American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy). 

Where can I get full course descriptions?

You can access them within the graduate course catalog.

How many courses do I have to take to complete the master’s degree program?

Students take a total of 18 courses (including 3 field-based courses: internship).

How many courses do I have to take to complete the CAGS degree program in family therapy?

The CAGS degree program is an individualized program. Students applying to the CAGS who hold a master’s degree in counseling or its equivalent from an outside institution would complete a minimum of 30 credits of course work. Often, however, students may need to take more than 30 credits in order to meet Massachusetts state licensure requirements as a LMFT.

Is there a final culminating project required for the master’s degree program?

Yes, students complete a capstone project, which is a culminating project of the master’s degree program.  The capstone is completed during the internship seminar. It is a case analysis of a family case that you are exposed to during the course of the internship. Students apply various theories and skills they have learned throughout their course work to a client case they are exposed to during the internship.

How many internship hours do I complete?

The internship is a total of 900 hours (300 hours/semester). 

Where can I complete the internship?

Students complete the placement at a variety of locations, including outpatient clinics, community health agencies, outreach family therapy teams, and others. Students are provided a list of approved sites where our students have completed their placements in the past.

Can I take a class or two to see what the program is like?

It is possible to take courses as a non-degree student as long as there is space available in the course and you have met the pre-requisites. Students can transfer up to 6 graduate credits (2 courses) taken at UMass Boston into the program as long as a grade of B or better is earned and you are accepted into the program. Typically, non-degree registration is held just before the semester begins. You can contact Kevin at Kevin.Ziomek@umb.edu to find out when non-degree registration for the upcoming semester will be held.

How much does it cost to attend?

You can get information about tuition and fees at the Bursar's Office.

What opportunities for funding exist?

The department no longer offers graduate assistantships (GAs); however, you may reach out to other departments at UMass Boston to learn more. GAs often provide larger fee waivers and stipends and require weekly time commitment. You can search for positions at UMass Boston by clicking here. Students can also apply for financial aid by filling out the FAFSA