Admission to the Transition Leadership program begins with an initial interview and informational meeting with the Project Director. Following this meeting, applicants will be invited to submit a full application to the Office of Graduate Admissions. All materials and correspondence should be directed to the Office of Graduate Admissions, Campus Center, Upper Level, UMass Boston, 100 Morrissey Blvd., Boston, MA 02125.
Out-of-state and international students should contact the project director, Maria Paiewonsky, at 617-287-7697, before applying for the program.
Applicants can apply online by visiting www.umb.edu/admissions/grad or order admission information by calling 617-287-6400. The application is in the back of the bulletin. Only those applicants who present evidence of their ability to do graduate work with distinction will be recommended for admission. Such evidence will include:
- Letter of Intent. This letter must clearly explain the applicant’s reasons for pursing a graduate study in the field of Transition Leadership.
- Grade Point Average. A minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 is required for admission to the program.
- Letters of Recommendation. Three letters of recommendation must be submitted by persons who are knowledgeable about supporting students with disabilities, who have worked closely with the applicant, and who have direct knowledge of the applicant’s transition skills and academic performance.
- License: Submit a copy of the appropriate license.
- Writing Sample. A writing sample indicating the applicant’s ability to write in a clear, concise, and professional manner is needed. This sample may be in the form of a recent term paper. A priority for the College of Education and Human Development is that the students who graduate are thoughtful and responsive educators, and committed to change for social justice. Please ensure that your writing sample demonstrates how you and your work match such a description. Your writing sample should also exemplify the experiences or values in your life that match this philosophy.