An art major consists of 12 courses, including:
- Two of the following courses:
ART 101 (Ancient and Medieval Art)
ART 102 (Renaissance to Modern Art)
ART L104 (Introduction to East Asian Art)
- One (1) art history course at the 300 level.
- Two(2) studio courses in two media (photography, drawing, video, printmaking, painting, digital imagery, and Sculpture). One of the three must be at the 300 level.
- Three (3) additional courses at the 300 or 400 level.
- Two(2) art electives.
- One capstone course at the 300-400 level.
- At least six (6) art courses, including at least three at the 300 level, must be taken at UMass Boston.
- None of the courses for the Art Major may be taken pass/fail.
- Independent study (ART 478-479), field work/internships (ART 488-489), and the first semester of honor projects (ART 491) may not be counted toward the minimum 12 courses required for the major.
The Minor in Art History
An art minor shall consist of six (6) courses, for a total of 18 credits. Requirements include:
- Two courses from among ART 101 (Ancient and Midieval Art), ART 102 (Renaissance to Modern Art), o ART L104 (Introduction to East Asian Art).
- Two art history courses at the 300 level.
- Two art history electives.
- At least four of the six courses required for the minor in art history, including two at the 300 level, must be taken at UMass Boston.
- None of the courses for the art history minor may be taken pass/fail.
- Independent study (ART 478-479), field work/internship (ART 488-489) and the first semester of honors (ART 491) do not count toward the minimum six courses for the art history minor.