Religious Studies (Minor)
The interdisciplinary religious studies minor entails coursework concerning theories and methods in the study of religion as well as courses focused on a variety of traditions in their global and local contexts.
Prerequisite, Concentration, or Other Requirements
- The minor in religious studies consists of six courses.
- All students must take at least one course that considers critical methods in the study of religion, to be determined in consultation with a religious studies faculty advisor.
- At least two courses must be at the 300-400 level; no more than two may be at the 100 level.
- With departmental approval, two of the six courses may be from an allied department.
- At least four of the courses taken for the minor must be taken in residency at UMass Boston.
- Only one course may be taken pass/fail. Only one course may be double-counted with another major or minor.
Religious Studies Courses
RELSTY 104 – Socrates, Jesus, Buddha
RELSTY 109 – Symbol, Myth and Ritual: Cultural Studies in Religion
RELSTY 122 -– Introduction to Critical Studies in Religion
RELSTY 204G – Buddha, Jesus, and Plato
RELSTY 232L/ASIAN 232L – Asian Religions
RELSTY 241 – Myth, History, and Prophecy: Old Testament
RELSTY 242 – New Testament, Judaism, and Hellenistic Religion
RELSTY 245 – The History of Christianity
RELSTY 264 – Contemporary Religious Thought
RELSTY 273 – Problems in Religion and Ethics
RELSTY 274L/WOST 274L – Women and Religion in Global Perspective
RELSTY 280 – Special Topics
RELSTY 356L/WOST 356L – Feminist Theology and Spirituality
RELSTY 358L/ASIAN 358L – Psychology, Politics, and Philosophy in East Asia
RELSTY 370 – Religion and Law
RELSTY 376L/POLSCI 376L – Religion and International Relations
RELSTY 478 – Independent Study
RELSTY 479 – Independent Study
ANTH 223G – Afro-Caribbean Religions
ANTH 366 – The Anthropology of Religion
CLSICS 294 – Magic & Science
CLSICS 271 – Paganism and Christianity
CLSICS 385 – Greek and Roman Religion
HIST 248 – Early Islamic History
HIST 250 – Women in Islam
HIST 413 – Saints, Witches and Heretics
HIST 456 – Faith and Politics in Islam
MDNLNG 225L – Pacting with the Devil: The Faust Tradition
PHIL 206G – The Idea of God
PSYCH 436 – Religion, Spirituality and Health
SOCIOL 268 – Religion in Contemporary Society
WOST 345 – Gender, Religion and Politics in South Asia