Complete applications are due in the UMass Boston Graduate Admissions Office by February 15 for enrollment in the following September. Applications submitted after this date will be considered on a space-available basis. There are no spring admissions.
Applicants must submit the following:
- A completed UMass Boston graduate admissions application form with application fee
- Official transcripts of all prior academic work, including evidence of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution as well as a course in calculus plus at least five economics courses, including intermediate macroeconomics, intermediate microeconomics and economic statistics (all with grades of B or better)
- A personal statementof at least 1200 words that includes your research interests, career goals and reasons for applying to the UMass Boston MA program
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who can assess the applicant’s academic and/or professional preparation for graduate work
- An official report of scores on the general aptitude (verbal, quantitative, and analytic) sections of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores where applicable (for more info go to International Graduate Student webpage).
- A professional or academic résumé
A limited number of partial assistantship awards are available on a competitive basis. This financial support includes a full tuition waiver as well as a partial fee waiver and a health insurance credit. In exchange, students will be required to work as teaching or research assistants during the semester (hours vary by type of assistantship). Prospective students interested in applying for assistantship awards should include a petition letter with their admissions materials outlining their skills and financial need.
Those undergraduate students who wish to apply to the five-year BA/MA option may do so after completing 75 undergraduate credits by the end of the fall semester before the February 15 application due date. Click here for admissions requirements for MA/BA students You should talk to the Graduate Program Director (Arjun Jayadev) about your interest in the program before applying.