Five-year Accelerated BA/MA Program in Applied Economics
Eligible UMass Boston undergraduate students interested in applied economics may enter the accelerated 5-year BA and MA program. If accepted, students can earn a bachelor’s degree in economics and a master’s degree in applied economics in less time than it would take to earn these degrees separately. Students are accepted into the master’s degree program in their junior year, start taking graduate courses in their senior year and complete the requirements in their fifth year. Once completing all requirements, students are awarded both their bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Students who do not complete the entire program with required GPA may choose to apply appropriate credits toward the Bachelor’s degree. The BA/MA program consists of 142 credits (110 undergraduate and 32 graduate level credits or their equivalents), which can be completed in five years. Students may choose to carry less than a full course load and complete the program at a slower rate upon consultation and approval by the graduate program director.
Students should apply to this program when they have completed:
- at least five courses in economics including introductory and intermediate microeconomics, introductory and intermediate macroeconomics, and statistics with a grade of B or better;
- one course in calculus with a grade of B or better; and
- at least 75 credits (but no more than 90 credits) by the beginning of the spring semester in which the application is due.
Applicants must have completed 30 credits and four economics courses in residence at UMass Boston.
Applicants must have a minimum 3.0 overall GPA (grade point average). Conditional admission may be granted to students with a lower GPA upon the recommendation of the graduate program director.
Students applying for the BA/MA in Applied Economics must:
- Complete and submit the UMass Boston graduate admissions application form
- Submit two letters of recommendation from UMass Boston faculty to Graduate Admissions
- Provide a personal statement of at least 1200 words that includes your research interests, career goals and reasons for applying to the UMass Boston MA program
NOTE: Student applying for the BA/MA program do not have to submit GRE scores.
Students considering this program will need to complete all other UMass Boston undergraduate degree requirements within the 110 undergraduate credits (e.g., First Year and Intermediate Seminars, Quantitative Reasoning, Distribution Requirements, Diversity Requirements, and Writing Requirements).
UMB students interested in applying for the BA/MA should contact the Graduate Program Director, Arjun Jayadev.