English, BA (The English Major)
Connect your passions to in-demand job skills!
The study of English puts you in touch with works of power, beauty, and imagination--and empowers you to create those works yourself. The English major connects your passion for imaginative expression to some of today's most in-demand skills: analytical writing, critical interpretation, original inquiry and research, and the ability to discuss, debate, and develop complex ideas.
The Benefits of an English Major:
- Our English major allows you to express your passion for reading, writing, studying literature, and engaging with visual, verbal, and digital texts.
- Our English major connects you to professors in small discussion-based classes. You hone your reading, writing, and thinking skills by working side-by-side with your professors and fellow students.
- Our English major allows you to add areas of concentration to your major. Most majors do a straightforward English major of 11 courses. If you are interested in adding focus to the major, you can concentrate in creative writing, professional writing, or Irish studies, or work toward teaching licensure as part of your English major.
- Our English major offers numerous extracurriculars, ranging from our Sigma Tau Delta Honors Society to our Literary Theory Reading Group.
- Our English major offers internships as a capstone option.
- Our English major prepares you for jobs, offering a one-credit mini-course on “English 457: Careers in English and Preparing for the Job Market”
- You get connected to a dynamic department! The English department offers exciting events—such as guest speakers, creative writing readings, and our six-word story and Twitter poetry contests—that are free and open to the UMass Boston community.
Thinking about the majoring in English and want to know why English is THE major for the 21st century?
Click here: Why major in English?
Looking for the requirements for the English major?
Click here: Requirements
Looking for special events?
Looking for specific information on the courses we offer each semester in order to plan your course registration?
To see full descriptions of each semester’s courses, we provide an English Department Course Description wiki page. This wiki page features detailed course descriptions written by faculty members for the upcoming semester:
Looking to sign up for an advising appointment as part of our advising period that leads to course registration?
Each semester, we offer a series of advising weeks. During this period, faculty advisors offer a large number of advising appointments, allowing students to sign up for advising before registering for courses. The advising wiki is “open” for a few weeks each semester and is available at: http://english-advising.wikispaces.umb.edu
During the semester, feel free to contact your advisor and make an appointment or visit during his/her office hours. Your advisor is noted in your WISER account.
Looking for unique programs and special opportunities for English majors?
- Click here for our Special Opportunities for English Majors
- Click here for our Senior Honors in English Program
- Click here for our Undergraduate Teacher Licensure Program in English
- Click here for our Prizes and Scholarships for English Majors
Looking for career advising and support?
Visit our Careers page for an overview of some of our career opportunities. Consider taking our special one-credit course: “English 457: Careers in English and Preparing for the Job Market.” This mini-course helps you locate career options that draw on English skills, learn how to use Career Services' databases to find job opportunities, and write a successful resumé and cover letter.