Faculty & Staff
Alexander Des Forges, PhD
Areas of Expertise
Chinese language and literature, comparative literature, film, and culture
PhD Princeton University
Professional Publications & Contributions
- Mediasphere Shanghai: The Aesthetics of Cultural Production. Honolulu: University of Hawai'i Press, 2007.
- "Burning with Reverence: The Economics and Aesthetics of Words in Qing (1644-1911) China." PMLA 121.1 (2006): 139-155.
- "Sleights of Capital: Fantasies of Commensurability, Transparency, and a 'Cultural Bourgeoisie.'" differences 24:3 (2014): 101-126.
- “Xinhai zhiji wenlun de chengqian qihou” [Early Twentieth-Century Literary Theory in Historical Context]. Chapter in Shuqing chuantong yu weixin shidai, edited by Wu Shengqing and Ko Chia Cian. Shanghai: Shanghai wenyi chuban she, 2012.
- “The Rhetoric of Modernity and the Logics of the Fetish.” Chapter in Contested Modernities in Chinese Literature, edited by Charles Laughlin. New York: Palgrave, 2005: 17-31.
- “Building Shanghai, One Page At A Time: The Aesthetics of Installment Fiction at the Turn of the Century.” Journal of Asian Studies 62:3 (2003): 781-810.
- “Opium / Leisure / Shanghai: Urban Economies of Consumption.” Chapter in Opium Regimes: China, Britain, and Japan, 1839-1952, edited by Timothy Brook and Bob Wakabayashi. University of California Press, 2000: 167-185.
Alex Des Forges has been teaching at UMass Boston since 2001.