Faculty & Staff
Christopher F. Zurn, PhD
Department Chair & Professor of Philosophy (Social & Political Philosophy, Contemporary European)
Areas of Expertise
Social and political philosophy, philosophy of law, contemporary European philosophy
PhD, Northwestern University, 1999
Professional Publications & Contributions
- “Democratic Constitutional Change: Assessing Institutional Possibilities,” in Democratizing Constitutional Law: Perspectives on Legal Theory & the Legitimacy of Constitutionalism by Bustamante & Fernandes (eds.) (Springer: 2016), 185-212.
- “The Ends of Economic History: Alternative Teleologies and the Ambiguities of Normative Reconstruction,” in Die Philosophie des Marktes – The Philosophy of the Market, by Schmidt am Busch (ed) (Felix Meiner Verlag, Hamburg: 2106), 289-323.
- Axel Honneth. Polity Press (2015)
- “Bringing Discursive Ideals to Legal Facts: On Baxter on Habermas” Philosophy & Social Criticism, Vol. 40, #2 (2014), 195-203.
- “Political Civility: Another Idealistic Illusion” Public Affairs Quarterly, Vol. 27, # 4 (October 2013), 341-368.
- “Misrecognition, Marriage and Derecognition,” in Recognition Theory as Social Research: Investigating the Dynamics of Social Conflict, ed. O’Neill & Smith (Palgrave Macmillan), (2013) 63-86.
- “Social Pathologies as Second-Order Disorders,” in Axel Honneth: Critical Essays: With a Reply by Axel Honneth, edited by Danielle Petherbridge (Brill Academic Publishers, Leiden, (2011) 345-370.
- The Philosophy of Recognition: Historical and Contemporary Perspectives. Lexington Books. (2010) co-edited by Schmidt am Busch & Zurn.
- New Waves in Political Philosophy, co-edited by de Bruin & Zurn (Palgrave Macmillan; 2009).
- Deliberative Democracy and the Institutions of Judicial Review (Cambridge University Press, 2007).
View Professor Zurn's website
Back to Philosophy Faculty page
Back to Philosophy Department main page